That's why GOP leadership are complete morons
by Jimbo Irish (2024-01-17 13:26:34)

In reply to: Interesting article by Charlie Sykes on Trump “strength” (link)  posted by sprack

They should have identified, rallied behind, and propped up a viable alternative and distanced themselves from Trump. Putting Trump on the ticket is akin to taking a knee. He has no shot.

I know several people who fall into the bucket of having voted for him last time who will absolutely not this time. The whole storming the capitol thing crossed the line with many people.

Problem is the MAGA crowd is so large that any viable candidate would be called a RINO, but I am pretty sure many of those folks would still vote for a moderate Republican over Joe Biden who they demonize.

The GOP could've rid themselves of Trump in Jan. 2021
by Queensman  (2024-01-17 14:35:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The democrats served up his head on a silver platter. If they took it, they had 3-4 years to recover and come up with an alternative. That's an eternity in politics.

What did they think? MAGA would all of a sudden become Biden voters? ...or Progressives?

Instead they chickened out and hoped Trump would go away on his own or help them back someone else. A scenario that hasn't occurred in 77 years. So here we are.

Of course, I wish Biden would go away too...and we could all try to move onto a new generation, but Democrats never know when to walk away either.

Not to excuse at all what they did...
by El Kabong  (2024-01-17 18:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...because I agree, the solution was self-evident.

They were afraid MAGA would all of a sudden become non-voters.

Agreed. They need the MAGA contingent to win.
by cujays96  (2024-01-18 13:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Even if they might loathe most of them. They couldn't figure out how to bury Trump and deliver a message to keep the MAGA people engaged. Instead, they just pander to them.

Material for a new book by a presidential candidate:
by Barney68  (2024-01-17 20:01:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

"Profiles in Cowardice."

The leadership had a chance and blew it
by sprack  (2024-01-17 14:31:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The biggest idiot of all was Kevin McCarthy.

Now they're all worried about getting primaried, but instead they should search for their spines.

Contrast it to 1973 when Barry Goldwater, Hugh Scott (Senate Minority Leader) and John Rhodes (House Minority Leader) went in and told Nixon he had to resign. A mere 7 years later a Republican won the White House in a 49 state landslide and they turned over 12 Senate seats and won back the chamber for the first time in 25 years.

Liz Cheney’s book covered in detail
by Go_Crazy_Folks  (2024-01-17 15:46:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

McCarthy would say one thing, either privately to her or publicly. Then a very short period of time would pass and he would cave to Trump’s pressure. Trump was despised shortly after January 6th, and all it took was a couple people to tell him to go F himself, but they didn’t, and eventually his behavior became normalized all over again. Absolute loyalty or get primaried.

...and complete morons are rare *
by El Kabong  (2024-01-17 13:40:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Probably less rare than you give them credit for *
by catripledomer  (2024-01-17 18:08:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I was quoting a movie *
by El Kabong  (2024-01-17 18:13:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Sorry, I miss most movie references *
by catripledomer  (2024-01-18 10:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Ruthless People *
by ufl  (2024-01-17 18:17:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

We gotta see what's on that tape *
by El Kabong  (2024-01-17 18:21:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply