My understanding is Lula has done fine
by AquinasDomer (2024-01-18 16:15:10)

In reply to: The regime before him helped perpetuate triple digit  posted by krudler

Argentina needs someone like Milei to do shock therapy, but successful development after that has to be more balanced. If you look at the Asian countries that successfully industrialized you see more of a mixed economy.

A lot of the central/south American countries struggle with a landed rentier dynamic. The glaring unearned wealth inequality makes the region dry tinder for a strongman left or right.

I do a lot of work there, the spending leading to outsized
by krudler  (2024-01-18 16:57:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

growth is not going to be sustainable for a longer period of time, and there's a lot of apprehension in the business sector at the moment. One year is a lot of overflow from the prior year, so we'd need a longer term view before the AP declares victory for its favored party.

Bolsonaro and Milei are different characters as well
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-18 17:15:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I remember Boldonaro throwing a lot of spoils out to shore up his reelection

Milei might talk populist, but he seems to truly believe in his economic program. Bolsonaro seemed a little more Trumpy, at least from afar.

Agreed. I think Milei is serious about his plans for
by krudler  (2024-01-18 20:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

reform and cost cutting. Some of the currency stuff seems like a longshot to get done. Bolsonaro was definitely a lot more bluster, which is probably why he and Trump got along so well. Such an awesome country, with so many resources and such potential, often squandered by poor leadership.