The ACC is a better fit for most of the Olympic sports.
by 59075 (2012-09-12 18:46:32)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Olympic ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Baseball, track, tennis and golf probably benefit from a better climate when traveling, especially to Florida. Swimming has deeper competition. LAX has been discussed in another thread. I would imagine recruiting changes a bit.

My nephew, who plays soccer is absolutely ecstatic about the
by Nitschke  (2012-09-14 15:20:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

news.

Men's soccer is close to a wash, I think.
by Mr Wednesday  (2012-09-14 15:48:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Big East is very strong in men's soccer, and it's all teams that haven't (yet) left the conference (SJU, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers).

Wonder if the Olympic sports coaches will lobby ND
by 59075  (2012-09-13 16:39:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to start competing in the ACC before the Big East contract expires.

Non-revenue sports don't have a compelling financial argument to negotiate a buyout of the two-year+ Big East notice. But then, the Big East has no compelling reason, that I see, to make ND stick around and compete for the next series of conference titles in some Olympic sports.

ACC doesn't have a compelling reason to let them in though. *
by TripleDomer  (2012-09-14 11:35:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I lightly wonder how this will change track/CC. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2012-09-13 00:10:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It changes very little
by Irish 01  (2012-09-13 00:57:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only time track and XC compete against the Big East teams is in the Big East Championship. ND has dominated both for a while. There are a few good programs in the ACC, but there were a few in the Big East as well. Overall, the move has a limited impact on ND's track and XC programs IMO.

I think it will help recruiting in Track & Field/C-C
by nannywarth  (2012-09-13 12:08:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe it will broaden the base of potential recruits.

Swimming has been two-team meet with Louisville
by 59075  (2012-09-13 01:36:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lately, but Cardinals have loaded up with foreign ringers versus true student-athletes. Don't expect to see that from Virginia and UNC. I don't expect ND to change regular season schedule to travel to compete in Carolina when Big Ten offers better competition close to campus.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.