Debbie Brown won't be back
by SB Jimbo (2014-12-04 19:21:53)
Edited on 2014-12-04 19:26:58

I agree, very surprising but long overdue.
by sendavolley  (2014-12-06 15:31:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you can deduce from my handle, I'm a volleyball fan. My daughter is being recruited now, although not by ND. There should be no reason that ND can't compete the highest level in this sport. If Penn State can do it, there is no excuse for us not to.

Scholarships & Recruiting in Non-Revenue Sports
by CKDexterHaven  (2014-12-05 14:18:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have often wondered just how much of a disadvantage ND faces when trying to recruit athletes to play those sports in which full scholarships for the entire roster are not available. High tuition and costs at ND would seem to leave a greater remaining expense for families to bear than at State schools where the non-covered expenses are lower.

That is not an issue in volleyball.
by vita dulcedo spes  (2014-12-05 15:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

12 full scholarships for a sport where maybe 8 players will contribute meaningful playing time. There's no reason for them to keep walk-ons.

I think more than eight usually see time.
by Mr Wednesday  (2014-12-05 18:47:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The base rotation is six players, but the libero is usually subbing the MBs as they go through the back row. If it's a 6-2 rotation, then they'll swap setters. Usually at least one OH gets subbed out through the back row.

And that's before you get into the younger players who are getting worked into the lineup in preparation for a bigger role later in their career.

I think it's more of an issue in mens sports because they
by Tex Francisco  (2014-12-05 14:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

often have lower scholarship limits due to Title IX compliance.

agreed *
by Domerduck  (2014-12-05 01:16:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there should be only one candidate for this job
by Melanzana  (2014-12-04 23:31:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jim McLaughlin. He is a former ND assistant coach, is married to a former ND women's soccer player and coach and loves ND. He's also won everywhere he's been.

I thought you were going to suggest Coyne *
by Domer99  (2014-12-09 14:32:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd love to see that, but...
by Mr Wednesday  (2014-12-05 18:52:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That strikes me as the volleyball equivalent to pining for Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops. You can say what you want about the things that would attract him to the job, but he's in a great situation right now without any real incentive to move.

There's some speculation on Volley Talk that the precedent of soccer and lacrosse is that ND is likely to go the direction of someone without a big resume.

Seems like decent timing given his daughters's ages too.
by Tex Francisco  (2014-12-05 12:06:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're not yet in high school.

WOW! This is a bit surprising given the discussion below
by IrishTrpt07  (2014-12-04 19:41:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on results it is not surprising, but given the family tree it will be interesting to see if any other changes occur at ND.

At this rate, Kelly will be at ND another 5 years, at least *
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-04 19:34:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fortunately, Kelly's spouse is not in ND's administration *
by IrishMace  (2014-12-05 17:11:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post