High School Wrestling question
by Gatewood (2016-01-24 15:54:44)

If a high school wrestler is number two on the depth chart in a weight class. Can the second string wrestler challenge the starter to a wrestle off to determine who gets to participate in the next match? What is the normal protocol to determine who starts?

This probably program dependent.
by vitadulcedospes  (2016-01-25 09:39:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we had three wrestle-offs per year. You knew in advance when they would be, and that was your chance to move up the depth chart.

Week-before the first match. Mid-December. Early January. I think there might have been a fourth available right before the end of the season tournament (conference, sectional, etc.) if there had been turnover during the previous wrestle-offs. Most weight classes were pretty set and didn't see changes in order. Maybe one or two per year would have rankings changes during the season.

It is program dependent
by jclay  (2016-01-25 12:48:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At my high school you could challenge at any time, however that usually never happened since there was a clear #1 (in a few weight classes we had a few guys ranked top 5 in the country, and they were never challenged).

For JV level, there was usually a wrestle off before every JV tournament with the freshman team, and the winner wrestling in the tournament.

To the OP, have you looked at wrestling up or down a weight? Be sure to check the rules on weight management in your state.

I think we had the ability to challenge
by NDoggie78  (2016-01-25 09:50:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along with set wrestle-offs, but it was a long time ago, so it's probably different now. And I'm sure this varies by school.

One thing of note - #2 always had to be ready and able to make weight, because we always had someone miss. Also had to be ready to wrestle up a weight class when someone missed weight and #2 in that weight class wasn't available