Good Article: The Myth of the Sports Scholarship (link)
by ckdexterhaven (2016-11-22 07:00:52)

Son graduated from D3 school. Wanted to play
by Indy77  (2016-11-27 14:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

football, two D3 schools and one D1AA school recruited him. The D3 school with it's scholarships and awards made it the price of the only other state school option he would consider if not playing football. At that point it was no brainer given reputation of the school and its rankings.

Had a remarkable four years, received a fabulous education, accepted job offer during Xmas break sr. year. Enjoyed a great football experience having started 4 years and elected captain and team MVP his senior year.

He paid off his student loans a few years back.

At times, I think I had just as much fun as he did what with visiting campus for various events including home game tailgaters which were always outstanding and the people were the best.

I didn't think D3 schools had scholarships? *
by KeoughCharles05  (2016-11-28 11:24:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Depending upon the institution, there are academic specific
by Indy77  (2016-11-29 13:23:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

funds (scholarhips) that donors may designate to be applied to a student's academic aid package.

D3 schools do not offer athletic scholarships like D1 and D2.

Schools like the one my son graduated from, provide a number of work study options, merit funds and scholarship sources to round out the financial aid package.

In my son's case, he was targeted as a recruit the head coach really desired, so extra $$'s were applied. The school had several athletes that were assisted by this same level of aid.

My younger son (track) went to a DIII where the loan portion
by Odschool  (2016-11-30 09:08:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the aid package is grants. I know a number of athletes who are going to to DIII schools rather than accepting partial athletic scholarships to D1 schools.

Hats of to Rocksteady74 for explaining the process to me, Probably save my son and the family $100k.

merit and need based financial aid *
by fontoknow  (2016-11-28 13:59:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you're confused
by DakotaDomer  (2016-11-27 20:43:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm certain your son is going to Prom this spring....it HAS to be someone else's kid that has paid off his student loans...has to be.

Very good article. We've visited a couple of D3 schools.
by rick  (2016-11-23 09:59:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We ask a bunch of questions about what extra we'll have to pay-like the winter trip to somewhere warm, tech suits, and warmups.

My wife is in college coaching. 95% of parents are...
by FL_Irish  (2016-11-22 20:59:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...clueless/delusional about how this all works.

Admission to a school much better than one would otherwise get into is probably the bigger prize to be had for most.

Quite true. We always assumed that the money we spent ...
by Rocksteady74  (2016-11-23 13:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... on our boys' sports would not gain them a college scholarship. But it did make them attractive to schools. For example, the older boy attended a top six liberal arts college. His grades and board scores put him right about in the middle of the acceptance curve, but the school accepts fewer than one of five applicants. So being on the soccer coach's recruit list was an important factor in getting accepted.

Your guidance proved true nearly ten years ago.
by Odschool  (2016-11-30 09:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your explanation of "buckets" for individual teams proved to be helpful to both my sons. Each of my sons met with the coach for college visits. Quite often the D3 tack and swim teams are not as good as the teams at a large suburban HS.

I have passed your advice on to a number od different families with good athletes with better than average grades.

The net result has been admission to better schools with a lower cost than a partial athletic scholarship to a d1 of d2 school.

Baseball, softball, M&W basketball, volleyball, and track and swimming