Olivia Markezich wins steeplechase
by NDoggie78 (2023-06-10 21:36:29)
Edited on 2023-06-10 21:38:51

With a 10 second off her PR

Won by almost 6 second over 2nd, 16 seconds over 3rd

Nice! Congratulations to her. Her last lap was fantastic. *
by Grace91  (2023-06-11 22:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A remarkable bell lap. Congratulations!
by knutesteen  (2023-06-13 03:24:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bigger, more physical and athletic. She used it to her advantage in closing the gap and running away at the end to a tremendous PR.

All American in XC (8th). Has To Help Strength-Wise...
by dillon77  (2023-06-13 17:05:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto for Molly Seidel when she won the 10,000.

I think Olivia has a year of eligibility left. She could be a double threat in XC and Track, just like Molly S. was her last year.

Her interview trout posted said she is coming back next year *
by Domerduck  (2023-06-13 23:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thx. to You, Trout. Covid Year for 'Liv. Knock on Wood,
by dillon77  (2023-06-14 11:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as stated, she could have a fabulous year from XC and winter track (3,000) to outdoor track.

That 9:20 qualifying time for the WC seems doable in Eugene if weather holds and she can battle "those gaps."

you're welcome
by trout  (2023-06-14 14:40:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I follow XC & Track and Field quite closely. I try to share any significant news in this forum when it involves ND or is otherwise notable.

BTW, I found LetsRun.com to be a pretty good site.

Thanks. I'll Check It Out....
by dillon77  (2023-06-23 10:59:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I keep my eye on XC and middle/long distance in part because I used to run the roads in my 20's, 30's and 40's. My eldest son is now at his peak, so I keep up with the sport in harmony with his interest.

When Seidel hit the national scene, he used to be in a number of races with Molly Seidel, so it was fun to have the ND connections on numerous personal fronts. While he didn't run for ND, his Stanford Hall team won the ND intrahall championship in 2011 and a number of those runners have become pretty solid distance road racers.

ND women score 12 (Olivia's10 + Jadin's 2), 22nd overall
by Domerduck  (2023-06-11 17:18:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jadin's 7th place a bit of a disappointment since she won the NCAA indoor championship, but her teammate got a PB finishing 12th. Hopefully those 2 sophomores can keep improving together as they were the only two teammates who qualified and competed int the championship in the Hept.

In addition to Olivia's PB, soph high jumper Madison Schmidts also had a PB despite not getting points for ND. Also Canadian Freshman Sonia Chisolm fell out of the top 8 as a couple racers passed her in the 5k at the end. She can take solace in knowing Olivia was just out of placing last year (9th overall) and with focus and training she won it all this year. Its great Olivia plans to run another year at ND with extra Covid year of eligibility.

She ran a hell of a race. Go Irish! *
by hibernianangst  (2023-06-11 13:41:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Race video and interview in linked article (link)
by trout  (2023-06-11 04:51:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Note Dwight Stone’s commentary at the end.

Thx-great race-the Catholic school beats the Baptist school
by Domerduck  (2023-06-11 17:03:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

although I don't how many Baptists are in Lithuania where 2nd place CBU athlete Greta Karinauskaite is from.

Stone's comments were great as I agree her strategy was perfect. Also given Stone's statement, I am surprised that Molly Seidel is the only other ND women to win an NCAA outdoor T&F championship when she won that 10k a few years back. Quite a legacy for her considering her dad ran for ND.

Wonderful accomplishments and congrats to her and her family.

Like Matt Sparks, I Like the Water Jump Out Wide
by dillon77  (2023-06-12 08:59:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..as opposed to inside. Just keeps everything smoother from a pacing and strike standpoint. Olivia's got a really smooth, powerful stride and she just wailed once she was on the straights, as pointed out.