Is Bronny James good enough to merit a draft pick?
by knutesteen (2024-04-05 11:37:47)

Or will the Lakers be able instead to sign him as a free agent so he can take the court with his dad during extended garbage time at the end of a game?

He barely played garbage time at SC. *
by socal_doubledomer74  (2024-04-06 21:54:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not if his name was Bronny Smith
by The Beef  (2024-04-06 11:38:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just one more reason for me to never watch the NBA.

Is he as good as Giannis’ brothers?
by Nathan  (2024-04-05 19:15:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Serious question. I’ve never seen any of them play- Bronny or the brothers

Not even close
by Son of Galway  (2024-04-05 17:40:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No one would be paying attention to him if he had a different last name. He was about the third or fourth best player on his high school team.

Agree and must be an April Fools joke *
by nd67  (2024-04-05 19:59:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bronny is a good athlete
by Mark_It_Zero  (2024-04-05 14:29:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's very fast, he's a good jumper, and he has a compact shot that he gets off fairly quickly.

He is not yet a NBA level player, though, and I think it will be an uphill battle to get there. He has played on stacked teams since he was a little kid, and in my opinion, it has hampered his development as a playmaker. At his size, it'll be difficult to carve out a role if he isn't a playmaker. Teams tend to want more size and versatility if you are going to be a swiss army knife. Gary Payton II has been able to do it, but it's really difficult to get minutes in the NBA if you are short, an inconsistent shooter, and aren't very good at creating shots for others even if you are a disruptive defender.

I'm not a fan of having talented kids play on super teams during club and high school. I think it robs them of the necessary adversity to become elite playmakers and leaders. One former pro who has done a good job with his son is Gilbert Arenas. Alijah played for a neighborhood club program until he started playing 17u for the Compton Magic, and instead of going to Sierra Canyon, he went to Chatsworth. Alijah is one of the best prospects I've ever seen live. He's had to work for it.

"Not yet an NBA player." He's not even a major college
by 84david  (2024-04-08 10:30:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

player yet. He would probably struggle in the Ivy league.

End of 2nd paragraph makes him perfect for the Bulls. *
by dfw  (2024-04-06 11:55:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s barely a Div 1 college player.
by The Beef  (2024-04-06 11:42:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’d be a benchwarmer at a mid major except for his his dad.

I think he had a normal freshman season
by Mark_It_Zero  (2024-04-06 17:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plenty of legit high major D1 players struggle as freshman. Averaging 5 points on 36% obviously isn’t lighting it up, but it’s not unusual even for top 100 freshman.

your last paragraph is spot on
by TommyZ  (2024-04-05 23:58:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish every parent understood this - or even really wanted to understand this.

Agree with you about talented kids playing on stacked
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-05 18:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

AAU teams. At some point you have to learn to deal with adversity. That doesn’t happen when you win every game 91-35.

Don’t worry, the NBA is here to help.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-06 09:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’re going to apply the same magic touch to youth basketball that they’ve applied to college ball. And we’ve all see how well that’s worked.

No, from what I have seen in 3 or 4 games, he's not good.
by DomerJon  (2024-04-05 13:06:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only reason he would get drafted is his name. The only reason ESPN is announcing it, is because of his name.

Nothing about him warrants a draft pick.

He did leave the option open to just transfer and stay NCAA *
by mocopdx  (2024-04-05 12:39:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet a team takes him
by DBCooper  (2024-04-05 11:52:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to see if LeBron will follow his son, as he has pledged to.

The better question is will that warrant a late first round pick? Would the Knicks do that?

I think LeBron has walked that back a bit. Paraphrasing but
by TripleDomer  (2024-04-05 12:58:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he has more recently said "it would be great if it happens, but he's not going to pit pressure on Bronny to do something big on his best interest."

He's not going to leave money on the table
by Groundhog  (2024-04-06 01:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just to play with the son. He's more than likely going to resign with the Lakers in a sizable deal.

I took that to mean he wasnt going to pressure his son
by DBCooper  (2024-04-05 13:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to leave earlier than he wants to try for the NBA. Not that he is ok not playing with him. Of course this could all be Lebrons way to force the Lakers to do something to improve team, as he has done in the past.

is this the quote you remember?

James has since added important context to his remarks, telling reporters last year, “Just because that’s my aspiration or my goal doesn’t mean it’s [Bronny’s]. And I’m absolutely OK with that. My job is to support my son in whatever he wants to do.”

I think it would be interesting if a team with minimal cap space took Bronny. If Lebron is serious would he go to, lets say the Celtics, to play for the veteran minimum?