We love stars
by Kayo (2024-04-07 14:53:18)

In reply to: Is UConn's dominance being overshadowed by Caitlyn  posted by chicos bail bonds

Preferably stars with engaging personalities who look good on camera.

Men's college basketball doesn't really have that person this season. Meanwhile, women's basketball has quite a few who meet the criteria, good personality and photogenic. Clark is at the top of the list because her basketball game is off the charts; but I've also seen Cameron Brink, Angel Reese, and Paige Bueckers on ads for major companies and their products this week. I haven't seen Zach Edey, Dalton Knecht, RJ Davis, et al doing the same.

It helps that the women stay in school because they and their teams develop identities. We get to know them. That adds to the appeal of the players and their teams when the personalities are appealing.

Next up: Hannah Hidalgo and Juju Watkins. They will be in college for at least two and probably three more years. Olivia Miles was positioned to be a next gen star, too... still might be. Appealing style of play. Appealing personality. Distinctive look. Really good team.

The last college men's college basketball player I remember being a publicity phenomenon was Zion Williamson, but he was gone after one season.

Why now? Because the quality of play in women's basketball has improved. The women still can't match the athleticism of the men, but they have more marketing appeal. Fans like men's basketball better than women's as TV ratings show throughout the season and in the early rounds of the tournaments. However, the days of a top four or five women's programs being far above all others are over. The regionals are competitive now, so they have the combination of good basketball and marketable stars working for them.

Replies: