I, of course, agree that UConn plays excellent defense.
by tdiddy07 (2024-04-09 09:16:07)
Edited on 2024-04-09 10:09:06

In reply to: I'm not sure what he could really do.  posted by Leeroy_Jenkins

And I also think that UConn is a more complete team. I do not fault Painter for losing the game.

But Purdue attempts 20 3s a game and has the second best three-point percentage in the entire county (shooting an astounding .404 as a team), and they were playing a team that allows 18.7 attempts per game and yet they only managed to attempt 5 total in the first 38 minutes. That doesn't happen by accident, and it doesn't happen simply because they played a team that was 40th in the country in defensive 3-point percentage. You would have to be trying to avoid threes and/or hyperfocusing on interior baskets.

And that looked like exactly what I saw. I often saw players free up at the top of key on ball screens who had space to shoot. Without fail they sought to drive. Frequently they were stopped or were heavily contested in the middle of the lane, even late in the game. And virtually every set that I saw was designed to feed Edey in the post, including after they were down double digits.

Braden Smith is a .430 shooter with 3.3 attempts per game that had 2 attempts. Loyer is a .444 shooter on 3.6 attempts per game that had 1 attempt. Gills is a .468 shooter on 3.2 attempts per game that had one attempt. Colvin is a .414 shooter on 1.9 attempts per game that had two attempts. Jones is a .357 shooter on 5.7 attempts per game that had one attempts.

UConn is a very good team and a deserving champion. But Painter did not put his team into the best position for success in the second half.

Replies: