I was already elated when Aaron Hicks signed with the Angels
by Slotts (2024-02-02 09:16:06)

In reply to: A Corbin Burnes to BAL rumor just showed up on Twitter,  posted by G.K.Chesterton

so we didn't have to put up with him anymore. This is just icing on the cake.

No Hicks slander
by Cartwright  (2024-02-02 10:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He came up big when Mullins was hurt. Glad to see them move on from him and Frazier, though. Good sign.

You're getting soft. While he had a nice run of a few weeks
by Slotts  (2024-02-02 14:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he first arrived, he was awful in the field and then didn't hit much after those few weeks. It made me wonder how the Yankees stuck with him for so long.

I didn't want him back, but I thought he was fine.
by stedsman  (2024-02-02 22:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not really the ideal person I would want to have manning a corner OF slot in the playoffs, but as Cartwright said, he was serviceable filling in for Mullins. And he had a helluva day at the plate in Game 2 of the ALDS (yes, I know he was partly responsible for the Game 1 loss, although nobody hit that game).

Dan Connolly believes this is the biggest trade that the O's have done in over 30 years. I guess in terms of the pitcher they are getting, he's right. I also think of Bonilla in 96 (helped get them to ALCS). And certainly the Glenn Davis for Schilling/Harnisch/etc. is more famous but for the wrong reasons.

Surely the Bedard trade was bigger
by Cartwright  (2024-02-03 11:54:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since Adam Jones is an Orioles Hall of Famer and Chris Tillman was very solid for several years. Though not if they win the Series this year and/or they’re able to sign Burnes longterm.

A lesser trade that I’ve always loved is when they got Melvin Mora from the Mets for Mike Bordick and then resigned Bordick that offseason.

You're right, the Bordick trade and resigning was nice. You
by Slotts  (2024-02-08 16:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are probably too young, but the 10 player deal with the Yankees in the mid 70s was pretty nice.

Yeah, got a few key guys
by Cartwright  (2024-02-09 15:38:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the late-70’s-to-early-80’s run in that trade.

Bordick was a fun defensive player to watch.
by voidoid  (2024-02-08 17:37:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If his career hadn’t coincided with Vizquel’s fifty-odd consecutive Gold Gloves he might have won a few himself.