Reinsdorf has a team whose following is limited 50 miles...
by Scoop80 (2024-04-15 19:34:42)
Edited on 2024-04-16 11:22:12

In reply to: The funny part about Nashville  posted by dwjm3

beyond their stadium. He'd likely have the same problem if Sox moved to Nashville. For example, Hunstville is now AL's largest city, it has a lot of people w/ disposable income, and it's a straight shot S on I-65. It's my wife's home town, and the Braves are the local team there. KY to the N is Reds' territory.

I'd also note that he's 88 now, and he'll be 93 (assuming he's still vertical) when the lease expires. He will die a billionaire who cares more about investors in the team than he cares about the local citizenry who built him a stadium and an arena and who loyally supported his 2 teams.

EDIT: Next time he thinks that he's such a bleeding genius on the economics of franchise relocation, perhaps he should look at Rays' attendance relative to their record from 2008 to date. They've had 2 WS appearances and 9 playoff appearances in that 16 year span. Sox have had 1 WS appearance and 7 playoff appearances in 43 years and counting under Reinsdorf. Given how Rays have drawn in that park w/ that record in that span, imagine how Sox would've drawn in TB w/ their record.