I see that as the distinction between Fields and Mahomes
by bizdomer09 (2024-04-25 12:29:46)
Edited on 2024-04-25 12:32:58

In reply to: Here is his biggest problem  posted by HTownND

Both can scramble and do cool things and make spectacular plays (though Mahomes is on another level). But Mahomes starts by working from within a play and does that very well - including making throws to receivers before they break, seeing the field, immediately working progressions based on what the defense shows, and throwing to open windows in a zone.

Fields can’t do any of that, which is a problem because that’s the definition of quarterbacking. One exception for Fields in the proper flow of a play is hitting an out pattern with decent timing. Nothing in the middle of the field.

So that’s how I set the continuum between the two. As understand it, you’re saying you’re confident Williams is essentially Fields redux. I’m not sure and am very concerned, but am optimistic or at least hopeful he’ll be better. Time will tell.

I don’t care nearly as much as a lot of other people about Caleb being weird and not being captain rah-rah on the sidelines. That would be nice, but if he can’t get the on-field stuff above right, none of it matters.

Replies: