Our experience at the Irish Lax Camp this past weekend
by jrdjr84 (2017-07-24 11:34:28)

Let me begin by saying there was so much that was positive: families in our club who were there for the first time felt the magic of the place, and said if the boys couldn't feel inspired to excellence in such an environment, something was wrong. I was blessed to go to mass in the basilica with my 17-year-old son.

No sour grapes here either: our boys lost only one game, in overtime, and had five guys on the all star team, one of whom had a hat trick. His dad is also an ND alum so that was pretty special.

The camp is not easy as the fields were spread all over: Arlotta, Stepan, "West Quad" (old golf course area). Lots of walking on hot humid days. Communication ahead of time could have been better.

That said, I felt compelled to send the following email to the relevant officials in ND security, the alumni office, and the lacrosse program:

Good morning.

As an alumnus (Class of '84), I was embarrassed for my university at the way it treated those of us who brought our sons to compete at the Irish Lacrosse Camp this past weekend.

As one parent in our group put it, the "Parking Nazis" treated us as if "we weren't worthy" to enter Notre Dame. What a shameful disregard for the Christian virtue of hospitality.

The experience at the end of camp around noon Sunday summed it up:

We were among several families that drove to the north gate, a mere block from where our sons were being housed at Keenan Hall, and we were told we had to drive off campus all the way around to access Dorr Road from the highway rather than drive a mere block on an essentially empty campus to where our sons were.

What an insult to those of us who made sacrifices to bring our boys to a camp that was not easy to negotiate, given the far spread of the field all over campus.

When we left campus Sunday, we drove that short block to the north gate. Rationalize it however you want but there was no evidence of any reason for being so rude to guests as to send them so far for so little. It was bureaucratic and officious, and left the distinct impression of institutional arrogance.

Much that could be so positive was tarnished by rude treatment upon arrival and departure.

I would offer additional details if you want them.

My hope is that my alma mater will care enough about people to treat them with more kindness and respect.

Yours in Our Lady and her university,
Jay Dunlap '84

My wife had a similar experience with ND Tennis Camp
by acrossdmiddle  (2017-08-01 15:00:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The parking nazis were ruthless and beyond rude.

Your complaint about having to hike all over campus...
by 105Marquette  (2017-07-24 17:27:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to get from one game to another sounds very familiar. We've been to more lax tourneys than I can count, and there's definitely a pattern: Tourneys held at college campuses tend to have their fields spread out more than do tourneys held at purpose-built athletic facilities.

B17 just had a tourney up in Chester County, PA. It was held at an old, small airport that had been closed decades ago. It was converted to an athletic facility, and it's the best layout for a tournament I can imagine. It has about a dozen fields arranged two-by-two down what was the main runway. They built long parking lots on both sides of the fields, so everybody can park right next to their field, and your car's in easy reach if your next game is more than you'd like to walk. Really well done.

Also, it sounds like despite all the changes at ND, the gate guards are still following the same orders never to let cars through regardless of circumstances. Perhaps the lax coaches aren't aware of the headaches the gate guards are causing their paying campers?

To his credit, Captain Kavanaugh of the ND police
by jrdjr84  (2017-07-24 19:47:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

called and discussed it with me. The athletic department and alumni office both received my complaint. Kavanuagh seemed to think there's some vital reason to treat people poorly on the empty campus on a Sunday afternoon. I hope at the very least they will re-examine that aspect of it. It makes no sense to handle things the same way on Sunday as on Friday, when employees are there and parking lots are full. Even in those cases, if they really wanted to take care of guests who travel distances for camps, they should find a way to empty a parking lot or two by noon (maybe send employees home early on a summer Friday?) so guests can be treated well.

How hard would it be...
by Kayo  (2017-07-30 15:00:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to put a camp-specific hang tag in the enrollment package along with specific instructions telling people where they can and cannot go with that hang tag. Then the gate guards won't have to make binary decisions about who can drive on campus; and the on-campus security police can feel free to ticket any duly warned camp families who park where they aren't allowed.

I think one of Notre Dame's biggest institutional problems is the inability to solve easy problems. Instead, ND blindly reverts to policies like "Nobody is allowed to drive onto campus."

They actually provide those
by fontoknow  (2017-08-17 16:14:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The biggest problem is the amount of crap the campers bring. You'd think they were coming in for a semseter.

Parking is beyond messed up around campus this summer.
by OITLinebacker  (2017-08-08 12:55:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crossroads construction plus all of the other work being done has made it a mess. It's one of the top complaints with faculty and staff as well and it's only getting worse as more lots are getting replaced with buildings. I live on the north end of downtown and there were some days this summer that I walked in to my office and made it to my desk faster than if I would have drove and then parked in the nearest lot not closed for construction and then either walked or taken a shuttle around from there.

It's almost to the point that I wonder if they wouldn't be better off putting a massive parking garage where the old St. Joe High School used to be and then have a very regular shuttle service around campus and then just close the lots off for more buildings and open quads. My guess is they'll be there within the next 20 years at the rate that the lots are getting torn up for new construction. I mean in 25 years or so you've gone from lots of greenspace parking around the stadium to only having a shrinking paved lot area south of it and the JACC. How much longer will that really last?

Your comment reminds me of Luke 12:18.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-08-16 12:58:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can read the next 3-4 verses as well.

They did a Parking study a year ago
by NDoggie78  (2017-08-08 17:05:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty interesting. Talked about Parking Garage near Legends - don't know if that's still a probability with new Architecture building going there. Also talked about a garage northeast side of campus.

I would prefer underground garages. Of course they cost more than above ground, but I find their costs in this report a little inflated - $80,000,000 for 1000 car underground lot, $30,000,000 for above ground?

didn't they just add an underground lot?
by DavidAddison  (2017-09-06 17:51:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As part of Crossroads, there is an underground lot entrance near Legends. I have no idea what is down there, how big or how small. But there's a ramp down.

Not a parking lot per se
by NDoggie78  (2017-09-07 08:38:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is where the NBC/tv trucks/trailers/equipment now park. I'm sure there is some parking also (bigwigs, security, NBC staff?), but this is not a "public" lot that relieves some of the parking issues resulting from new buildings taking up former parking areas. And of course the ramp itself displaced surface parking spots - so probably a net deficit.

Edit: Also food service "A driving ramp leading underground has been built southwest of the stadium complex. That drive leads to underground loading docks and a commercial kitchen/catering service for the three buildings and the stadium."

There is some construction currently in a wooded area on northeast edge of campus (near the rugby field) that could be a new lot.

Sure. Why not.
by 96_ND  (2017-08-29 15:08:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's only money.