Interestingly, the Patriot League has a 6-team
by tf86 (2017-12-13 13:13:52)
Edited on 2017-12-13 13:15:12

In reply to: I'd expect ND to add 2 February games  posted by ShermanOaksND

Conference tournament, yet does it all in one week.

3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 on Wednesday. 3-6 winner vs. 2 and 4-5 winner vs. 1 on Friday. Winners of Friday's games on Sunday.

I suspect the ACC could do something like that if it were so inclined.

I can see why the Patriot League moved their conference tourney, perhaps. Since the ACC and the Patriot League were the only conferences that finished up their conference tourneys early, the final week of the regular season had to feature ACC vs. Patriot matchups (it doesn't make much sense to have a conference game AFTER the conference tourney). Since there are only five ACC teams and nine Patriot League teams, that meant that a minimum of four Patriot League teams would be out of luck for the final weekend. I suppose they could round out the schedule with Division I independents as opponents, but two of those teams (NJIT and Hampton) are among the dregs of Division I men's lacrosse currently. Further, while this is only an educated guess on my part, I believe the ranks of the independents will be further depleted in 2019. St. Bonaventure adds men's lacrosse that year, and I believe that move will entail the Atlantic 10 beginning to sponsor men's lacrosse. Fwiw, the A-10 will then have four members (UMass, Richmond, St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure) competing in men's lacrosse. By comparison, the Southern Conference has only three full members playing men's lacrosse (Furman, Mercer and VMI), yet it sponsors men's lacrosse.