I'm a little more optimistic.
by irishdoc01 (2018-03-04 20:38:08)

In reply to: I hope Maryland is absolutely superior. That was not good.  posted by Otter

Despite poor goaltending/faceoffs and no goals from Costabile or Gleason, we only lost at the #2 team in the country by two goals.

1. I am not as optimistic about the face-off situation going forward. I thought Travisano looked better than Finley last year, but for some reason Travisano got fewer reps. I wonder if Hyland would have started there last year if not for injury. He took the first faceoff of the Detroit game this year, but got hurt again early in that game. We saw him some against Maryland, in a knee brace. Either way, it will be a blood bath against Baptiste.

2. I like what I've seen from Schmidt so far, but he had a rough time against Maryland; Molloy looked good in relief.

3. I also think Schmidt has looked good in the clearing game for a Freshman and also notice that they are not using Schantz as much in that capacity as last year.

4. Garnsey did not play in the first quarter. He came out start the second with the EMO. He scored the goal and stayed on for the remainder of the half. He again did not start the second half, but came on for the EMO and remained thereafter. It was by far his best game of the season and against tougher competition. I wondered about some disciplinary action, but think it's more likely he's being saved. He seemed to get banged up and wilt down the stretch last year.

Overall I thought the 6-6 offense and EMO looked better. The man down defense has been disturbingly bad for how good the 6-6 defense usually looks. The ride game is not as good at least in part because Willets is not a scrapper who thrives in that roll like Kavanugh, but having a bigger inside/outside attackman is a breath of fresh air I hope will pay bigger dividends for the offense.

Unfortunately, Maryland and Denver upcoming have much more live game action under their belts this season than the Irish (a seemingly recurring problem).

I would be more optimistic based on one real
by steelhop  (2018-03-05 11:14:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fact, Kelly isn't going to have a 10 point game if they play again this year. Further, some of his assists were really cutting the angles. It happens but he was just in the zone Saturday.

There are certainly areas to be concerned. The last second goal from 18+ yards out to end the half is really unacceptable. Face-offs continue to be a concern but UMd is a good team with good offensive players. A couple areas of improvement can go along way.