In lacrosse, you can have 3 paid coaches and 1 volunteer
by steelhop (2018-03-12 09:16:38)
Edited on 2018-03-12 09:17:52

In reply to: I never post here and am not a LAX expert...  posted by DavidAddison

coach. Most programs typically break their staff into head coach that oversees everything, a defensive coordinator (Byrne at ND), and offensive coordinator (Karweck). This isn't always true but most programs use the volunteer coach in two specific areas - face-offs or goalie coach and general fill in the spaces type of coach. Generally, the volunteer coach breaks down into 3 type an older guy just looking to be involved (Hopkins uses an alumni goalie from the 80s) or a former HC coach looking a for a bridge to the next job (Duke had the old Cornell coach a year or two ago) or a young guy looking to get his break into coaching (similar to a grad assistant in football. ND has John Crawley - a former offensive midfield from Hopkins. I am assuming he is in grad school at ND.

It is an interesting selection. He was a tough guy but didn't face-off at Hopkins so his ability to work with fogos is likely limited. ND has usually had good goalies so I doubt he works much with the goalies beyond just warming them up before practice and games. My guess is that they think Karweck is going to get hired as HC somewhere and have him become the OC after that.

Face-offs are what make lacrosse unique. It allows a team to continue the momentum in either direction and string multiple scores together. The coaches that complain about it are those that don't have a good face-off guy. Desko from SU is notorious for saying face-offs are great when he has a good face off guy and should be eliminated if he doesn't - these statements can literally be one year after each other.