Richmond beat UNC today. So that W is looking better for us. *
by flanner96 (2018-03-15 21:22:07)

This user did not provide content for this post

I'm not sure UNC is very good this year
by ccndbound  (2018-03-16 15:20:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are 6-3, with 3 straight losses to Denver, Hofstra and Richmond. Their remaining games before the ACC tourney are MD and all ACC opponents. They could easily lose all those games and be 6-8 and miss the ACC tourney.

I think this might be a more likely scenario
by tf86  (2018-03-19 08:44:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UVa loses to Johns Hopkins, Duke and North Carolina (the game is at Chapel Hill), but beats everyone else remaining on their schedule. UNC beats Virginia but loses to everyone else remaining. That puts UNC into the ACC tourney as the 4th seed with a 7-7 record. UNC loses in the first round of the ACC tourney, finishes 7-8, and therefore is ineligible for an at-large bid to the NCAA tourney. Virginia, meanwhile, finishes 10-5 overall and gets an at-large bid to the NCAA tourney despite missing the ACC tourney.

UVA appears to be playing better than UNC right now
by ccndbound  (2018-03-19 16:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even if Virginia loses all ACC games and still finishes 10-5, I'm not sure they are a playoff team. They would have wins over Loyola and Princeton (both in Feb) and a bunch of teams that don't help their strength of schedule.

On the other hand, playing in the ACC would have
by tf86  (2018-03-20 09:08:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hurt their record. I think the Selection Committee would take that into consideration, although I can't say for sure. Note further that in my scenario I assumed a loss to Hopkins, although that's not guaranteed by any measure. 11-4, and undefeated in an OOC schedule that includes at least two teams (Loyola and Hopkins) who are likely to make the tourney probably would be good enough, even if they miss the ACC tourney.

I haven't seen UNC play yet this year, but you may be right about UVa beating them. On the other hand, it's sometimes difficult to steal a win on the road.

agree - if UVA beats Hopkins, they probably get in
by ccndbound  (2018-03-20 09:38:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think they get in without that win (assuming 0 wins in ACC). A Feb win over Loyola isn't enough.