Yale v. Duke, children of privilege wielding big sticks
by jrdjr84 (2018-05-27 09:36:13)

In reply to: Go Yale.  posted by Porpoiseboy

Yawn.

Could be an interesting game. Go Elis, I guess.

Not one Rudy in the bunch. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2018-05-28 15:27:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yale has more students receiving Pell grants than ND or Duke
by Tex Francisco  (2018-05-27 15:51:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Compared to ND and Duke, I suspect Yale has a higher percentage of "poor" students, but also a higher percentage of 0.01%-ers and famous, well-connected types. At ND and Duke most students come from doctor/lawyer-type homes. Obviously I'm speaking in extremely broad brushes, but I think I'm generally right, when I say that Yale has a higher percentage of kids from both ends of the spectrum. Given ND's relatively chintzy reputation for giving out financial aid, we're the last people that should be calling out others for coming from privilege.

I don't know if it's still the case at Yale
by Groundhog  (2018-05-28 20:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But there was a time when the parties at Yale would merely be broken up, no arrests, just move along given the desire to not want to bust some powerbroker's kid.

And another thing... My son will be playing D1 lacrosse
by jrdjr84  (2018-05-27 20:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

next year at a mid-major, where the head coach had been an assistant at one of the Ivys. This coach talked about how the Ivy League kids were great, but lacrosse was just one of many things they were all good at. They were going to be fine in life with or without lacrosse. But the students he's recruiting now are seeing opportunities open up precisely because they excel at lax.

So there's that.

My son has the good fortune to be adopted so he didn't inherit the lack of athleticism that would have been his genetic fate as a biological child of ours...

And that's why it was a bad move to end Fr. Ted's
by jrdjr84  (2018-05-27 20:35:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

approach to tuition and financial aid. How much of a culture change has come from no longer offering "the lowest tuition cost of 30 peer institutions" and being able to afford ND via ROTC scholarship? That alone makes it a very different place than it was when we of a certain age were there...

My comment was more a reflection of the fact that I was rooting for Albany, but they pooped the mattress...