Can't be Title IX for UofL -more womens scholarships than ND
by NDoggie78 (2018-08-07 16:45:19)
Edited on 2018-08-08 10:10:54

In reply to: For L'ville, Title IX numbers won't let them have a varsity.  posted by hoomanbeing

At least by my math - NCAA math could be something completely different

Notre Dame and Louisville have 9 Men's sports in common:
Baseball (11.7), Basketball (13), Cross Country & Track (12.6), Football (85), Golf (4.5), Soccer (9.9), Swimming & Diving (9.9) for a scholarship limit number of 151.1

Notre Dame also has Men's sports - Fencing (4.5), Hockey (18), & Lacrosse (12.6) for an Additional 35.1. So a Men's total of 186.2

Notre Dame and Louisville have 11 Women's sports in common:
Basketball (15), Cross Country & Track (18), Golf (6), Lacrosse (12), Rowing (20), Soccer (14), Softball (12), Swimming & Diving (14), Tennis (8), Volleyball (12) for a scholarship limit number of 131

Louisville Women have Field Hockey which adds 12 more for a total of 143
Notre Dame Women have Fencing which adds 5 for a total of 136

Bottomline, Notre Dame has 35.1 more Mens scholarships than Louisville and & 7 fewer Women's scholarships - at least according the NCAA scholarship limits

Women's sports don't quite equal the Men's numbers for either team

"According to the NCAA, there are three basic parts of Title IX as it applies to athletics: participation, scholarships and other benefits. Institutions must have participation opportunities that are proportionate to their respective rates of full-time undergraduate students or show a history and continued practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex."

It's not an absolute number of scholarships by sex
by tf86  (2018-08-09 16:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rather, the percentage of athletic scholarships by sex has to be proportional to overall enrollment by sex.

Notre Dame has more male students than female students, and therefore can provide more athletic scholarships to male student-athletes than to female student-athletes, so long as the proportion approximates the proportion of overall male/female student enrollment.

I don't know what Louisville's exact enrollment numbers are, but I would make an educated guess that they have a higher proportion of female students than ND has. In that case, they are required to award more athletic scholarships to female student-athletes, proportionately speaking, than ND is.

I get that, but some quick search numbers
by NDoggie78  (2018-08-10 09:04:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

showed ND at 53% male, 47% female

UofL was about 50% each (49.5% male, 50.5 female)

That doesn't appear far enough apart to allow ND 35 more men's scholarships than Louisville, yet 7 fewer women's. Either enrollment numbers are wrong, there's more criteria I'm not considering, ND out of compliance (maybe I should quit looking), OR Louisville as room to add more men's scholarships (lacrosse).

Now, there could be many more reasons for not adding, I just don't think Title IX is it (and again I could be completely wrong). This is given as the excuse whenever the question comes up - it's easy to blame "Title IX", but ND has found a way to do it.

One more thing, since hoomanbeing first brought up Title IX, I looked at UVA's numbers, too. They list 13 Men's varsity sports, and 14 Women's varsity sports (they list squash for both men's and women's, but I couldn't find NCAA scholarship limits for squash).
Total Men's scholarships = 173.6
Total Women's scholarships = 143

Enrollment percentages Men 44.3%, Women 55.7%
So those numbers don't work out either.
Obviously, I know less than these Universities and the NCAA rules, but my point still stands - if ND and UVA can have a lacrosse team under Title IX restrictions, it would "appear" UofL could as well.

Squash is not an NCAA sport. There are no scholly limits ...
by hoomanbeing  (2018-08-27 15:10:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

set by India-noplace. It does count against Title IX because the teams are now sponsored by the school and aren't club teams anymore. Men's rowing is not an NCAA sport, but if you have a varsity and not a club (like the Ivies and Syracuse) it counts against your Title IX numbers as well. We're not in Title IX compliance numberswise by any stretch. I think we're considered "OK" only because we have teams in everything people have asked for. About the only women's teams I can think of that we don't have are equestrian, water polo, bowling, and gymnastics.

Wasn't calling UVA out
by NDoggie78  (2018-09-17 10:03:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or ND for that matter. Only pointing out that Title IX numbers alone don't "appear" to be the reason Louisville doesn't have lacrosse. They would seem to be a natural fit to help get the ACC an automatic bid (probably not necessary).

The area has become somewhat a hotbed for lacrosse (not to the extent of the eastern seaboard - but growing)

I assumed squash wasn't an NCAA sport - only mentioned it because UVA's site did. Thanks for the further info.