Lax OT shouldn't be sudden death (semi-annual complaint)
by basicbasket (2019-05-19 12:27:26)

Sports where possession is fluid (hockey, soccer) have sudden death OT. Sports where possession is less fluid (basketball, football) or fixed (baseball) give both teams a chance or have a set time period for OT. Lacrosse possession is closer to basketball or football and so OT should be a fixed time period, not sudden death.

I don't know how you'd improve it.
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-19 13:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You seldom see in hockey anything similar to lacrosse OT. We agree on that. Duke's Costabile moment isn't too common, or even anything close to it. But soccer's two 15-minute OTs is fairly dogshit competition. I agree lacrosse's OT is fairly painful and sudden for the loser. Maryland probably wasn't too pleased yesterday. I don't see any good new solutions, though. Obviously, college football OT is idiotic.

In the olden days (and I think in WLax now), you played ...
by hoomanbeing  (2019-05-25 21:59:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two OT periods regardless of any scoring. If there were an equal number of goals in the two periods, then it went as a tie. I think in WLAX after the two periods they then play sudden death.

5 minutes, like basketball.
by basicbasket  (2019-05-19 13:22:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would work now that there is a shot clock and teams (e.g. Denver) can't work the refs and hold it for 3 minutes.

I think that's probably optimal.
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-19 13:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's better than sudden victory. It doesn't have hockey & soccer's few goals issue.

Pictorial summary of college football OT
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-05-19 13:13:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I know full well how you feel about sharks.

Reasonable... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-05-19 12:39:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post