Penn State/Virginia
by Domer65 (2019-05-19 14:32:49)

I will be very surprised if they are not playing for the NC next Monday.

I like Corrigan but seeing teams come out of nowhere
by basicbasket  (2019-05-19 14:38:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

while we keep sputtering is annoying.

Teams out of nowhere? Sputtering?
by ccndbound  (2019-05-20 09:19:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm as disappointed as you are regarding the loss, a game ND certainly could have won. But to say Virginia is a "team out of nowhere" is crazy. They have a rich tradition of success and have been on a steady rise since Lars took over there 3 years ago. Penn State is a bit more of a newcomer, but their coach had great success at Cornell and has finally gotten his (healthy) players in place. Ament was hurt last year - they would have been a much better team with him playing.

While we all want ND to get over the hump and win an NC, the program has been consistently very good with Corrigan at the helm. We will always question some decisions, like the last play of regulation, but to call the team "sputtering" is a bit extreme.

Besides the success we all want on the field, keep in mind the extraordinary things the coaching staff does for these players - international travel, exposure to career options, networking with alums, etc.

This was Penn State's first time ever in the second round
by basicbasket  (2019-05-20 11:04:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the tournament. And when I say sputtering, I mean sputtering in the tournament. For example, when was the last time in a semifinal or final game that we started out with a big lead instead of falling behind big? I guess the semifinal vs. Maryland in 2014? It doesn't happen often, usually the reverse happens.

PSU isn't really coming out of nowhere
by Steelhop  (2019-05-22 08:38:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lacrosse fans have been keenly aware of the talent Tambroni was bringing in to PSU over the last 9 years. Tambroni took Cornell built on what Petro started and took Cornell to greater heights to the point they should have won the 2009 National Title game (they had the game in the bag but made several mistakes in the last couple of minutes). In fact, many were wondering why it was taking so long. They redid their facilities about 3-4 years ago and have a good pipeline into top HS in Philly like Haverford, Malvern Prep and LaSalle and have been pulling kids out of other hotbeds.

They are also shooting the lights out. Right now they sit at 44 or 45% shot percentage. That is absurd. It will destroy the record of shot percentage as a team, which stands at something like .401.

True or false...
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-20 15:40:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Teams get good to great players and have good to great seasons?

Larry Bird at Indiana State. Steph Curry at Davidson. The Thompsons at Albany. Loyola in hoops last year. ASU in hockey this year. UMASS in hockey this season. It's probably the rule rather than the exception that each year will have a team "come out of nowhere".

I feel frustrated we haven't won a national championship under Kevin, too. But my opinion of him wouldn't be any different if an ND longstick had won a face-off, ran to the goal, and netted the game-winner six seconds into OT Saturday.