Some thoughts, after a few days to cool down a little
by tf86 (2019-05-20 15:13:11)

1. F*ck Duke.
2. Putting aside the hurt of this loss for a moment, the game of lacrosse would have been hard-pressed to ask for a better weekend than this past one. Three out of four games decided in overtime. Wow.
3. Out of 16 games this season, slightly less than one-third (5) were played against two teams (Duke and Virginia). As it turned out, we would have gotten Virginia a third time had we advanced. I'm not sure what, if anything, can/should be done about this, but at the same time, for those of us who want to see the game grow, I don't think this is the greatest scenario. Worth noting in this regard that the Penn/Yale matchup was also the third time those teams have played this season.
4. Did I mention, f*ck Duke?

Regarding #3
by okerland  (2019-05-22 16:52:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think there's a way to fix this.

The ACC is one of the best conferences in the country. If ND is going to advance to the quarters each year chances are they are going to play another ACC team.

The committee's hands are tied unless they expand the field.

Agree in part
by tf86  (2019-05-25 14:23:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a good chance we play another ACC team if we advance to the quarterfinals or beyond, unless the field is expanded. That could be upon us quicker than we anticipate, however. Currently, there are 9 conferences that have AQ bids to the tourney. I believe that if one additional AQ bid is added, the committee will add a second play-in game (as they did for the brief period when the ACC had an AQ bid). But if it's two more conferences with AQ bids, I think they expand the tournament field to 24 teams.

On the other side of the coin, it seems to me that we are playing less than the maximum number of regular-season games. As a point of comparison, Duke has played one more game than us (going into today's game) despite having been eliminated in the ACC tournament a round earlier than us. That translates into two additional regular-season games for Duke vice us.

I don't think that's a no-brainer on our part, however. Adding two regular-season games to our schedule means at least one more mid-week game. It also almost certainly means that our overall strength of schedule would drop. And it also means that we have two extra games entering the NCAA tournament, although I'm not sure how far the "fresh legs" argument goes. On the other hand, I think 10-6 would have looked much better to the Selection Committee than 8-6 did.

I'm a big Yale and UVA fan these days. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-20 19:00:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One down. Let's go Yale! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-25 14:40:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eli Eli Eli Whale? *
by Dr Muppet  (2019-05-26 08:57:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

WHALE YEAH!!! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-26 17:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post