The better question is whether it is time for Byrne
by RagingBull (2019-06-02 12:08:40)

In reply to: Kevin Corrigan should be fired.  posted by Porpoiseboy

to take over. I have been watching Inside Lacrosse fearing that I'll read that Byrne has been hired at Harvard. He is from Boston and Pierre has graduated. Byrne has to be the A1 top choice for a number of schools. To address the point below - we may have our elite coach already on the sidelines.

As for Corrigan, I played for him and respect him. We still keep in touch so I am biased.
His gift is in recruiting and his complete confidence in getting players who fit his system. Though the depth is far greater now, he still attracts a certain kind of student-athlete who will succeed post-college. The use of #40 in honor of Mike Sennett resonates with the lacrosse alums. The ND lacrosse network is incredible. Corrigan is tough on his players, awkward to talk to, and panics in big game situations (Kessinch - who is one of the biggest ND fans in the broadcast booth and who is annoying but on the money 98% of the time - called it in regulation versus Duke) but would defend his players to the death (in contrast to Kelly) and does a phenomenal maintaining player engagement.

I do not think we should treat Corrigan as a tenured professor who should never be fired. But replacing him now in light of the current state of the program would be absurd. Bringing in someone else to instill a new culture would be devastating. Look at Georgetown for reference to a program that was supposed to be the Duke.

The quandary would be if Byrne was ready to walk. I think there would have to be a serious conversation with Corrigan as to whether it was time to pass on the torch. The culture would remain and we'd keep one of ND's greatest assets.

Firing Corrigan because of a loss to Duke would be comically stupid. My question to those calling for it is what happens to their lives on Tuesday if ND did run the table this year? Would their lives be infinitely better? Would they strut around their offices obnoxiously singing the fight song? Would they break out their Joe Montana jersey to celebrate? What is that they are losing by not witnessing an ND championship?

I have never understood the entitlement that those with an ND degree - or whose affiliation stems from their Uncle Tommy graduating in 1982 - feel.

Keep Byrne first. Keep Corrigan second. If both bolt, get Matt Karwick if you can't get Toomey from Loyola (who is unlikely to leave his alma mater).

Replies: