Anyone else watching the PLL?
by akaRonMexico (2019-09-05 10:29:03)

If not, the playoffs start this weekend and you should definitely check out the Redwoods. They have 6 former ND players and makes me already miss Garnsey! Such a fun and creative player to watch.

A few ideas about the PLL I find fascinating
by tf86  (2019-09-19 14:18:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. They seem to have raided the established MLL quite well. It certainly didn't hurt that out of eight teams last year, the MLL had two fold and a third suspend operations until 2021.

2. Unlike the MLL, the PLL offers health insurance to players. That seems to me a no-brainer, in that lacrosse is inherently an injury-prone sport.

3. The PLL used a revolutionary concept. That is, it did not assign its member teams to represent specific cities. Rather, teams play games at rotating sites around the country. In a sport where growth is critical, that may turn out to be a great idea. But on the other side of the coin, I can't help but wonder if the PLL is missing out on the possibility of growing hometown enthusiasm for each of its teams.

Not sure if the sport is popular enough yet to support two rival sports leagues in the same sport, so I guess we'll see how this goes over time.

Sidenote: according to the Wikipedia pages (admittedly not always the most reliable of sites) for both teams, it appears that Near plays for both the Dallas Rattlers of the MLL and the Redwoods. The seasons for each league don't overlap completely, so perhaps there is some possibility for that. Does anyone know what's happening there?

Redwoods in the Championship Sat. 9/21 at 2:30 - 9 Irish
by NDoggie78  (2019-09-19 08:41:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's actually 9 former Irish on the active roster. Gleason is also listed but hasn't played (injured?)
Epple
Garnsey
Glazener
Kavanagh
Landis
Near
Ossello
Perkovic
Sexton

Maybe we can finally win the championship we haven't gotten in the NCAA