This year could be a rebuild
by Otter (2020-03-11 10:36:54)

First, I'm bummed out at the lack of activity on this board. If you lurk, try to pipe in so we can get an idea of who is following this team?

1) We are getting crushed on faceoffs. Leonard was All ACC last year but over the last two games he looks incompetent. I thought the freshman from Denver was superior (and he probably is) but we didn't look great against Ohio State either. Stats don't completely tell the tale either because we sole the face off win after OSU FOGO lost the ball more than we won it cleanly. We won it clean maybe 2 times? Also, Leonard made some terrible decisions after winning some faceoffs including a crucial mistake throwing a cross field pass out of bounds.

2) Goaltending: We replaced Schmidt with Entemann for a reason. I'm not sure I'm seeing it right now. We have been outplayed in goal the last two games.

3) Offense: We are sputtering. Costabile is having trouble getting his hands free and is being doubled. He's still the main option but we need more. Jackaboice looks good. Kavanaugh is talented but inconsistent. We are missing finishers like Ryder and Mikey Wynne.

4) Ground balls are a weakness but that isn't new in my mind.

We have played two good teams so we can turn it around. But the last two were not fun to watch with second half collapses.

I'll chime in
by Lambconnection  (2020-03-12 12:33:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I often lurk but don't post as much because there's less activity back here. I try to watch the games as often as I can get them, but I haven't been able to watch as closely this year (blame my 11 month old daughter).

From the limited amount of time I've been able to watch, it seems like we are lacking in offensive weapons. In the past we've had at least two or three middies and two attackmen that we could count on to finish fairly regularly. It seems like right now we are down to Costabile most of the time and he too often takes that as a signal that he needs to take the whole team on his shoulders. He's a great player and seems like a good leader, but he can't do it on his own. I feel like we are particularly weak at attack without Mikey Wynne and Ryder Garnsey. I'm not sure who our main guys are attack this year because I haven't been able to pay enough attention, but we need guys who can get open for the quick feeds from the middies and then finish.

It also seems like our defense, which has been our strongest area in years past, has been lacking. I'm not sure who we have there now, but the sliding and awareness needs to improve if we are going to be competitive in the ACC.

I'll try to check back here more often and contribute more. Lacrosse will likely always be my favorite sport to watch. It would be a shame if our team became unwatchable.

This is not a Rebuilding Year.
by RagingBull  (2020-03-11 14:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is enough talent and senior leadership to be in serious contention for a Final Four appearance.

He replaced a 2-year starter in goal with a talented Frosh. Besides Entenmann, Kavanaugh, Westlin, and McCahon all deserve to see playing time. We're young because young talent deserves to be on the field and beat out solid upperclassmen.

Yes, FOGO is an issue but it's not the biggest one plaguing the team. We make far too many mistakes, our slides have been weak and late, Costabile is forcing it too often, and our Offense is stale and predictable. As a whole, this is a typical Corrigan team. They are talented but tightly-wound. The mental errors are caused by their nerves. They are not a loose bunch. You can see Entenmann looking over at the bench to see whether he's going to get yanked.

Costabile, Kielty, and Restic need to have a closed door meeting with the team and get them out of the funk. This is where leaders thrive.

They're 2-3 but they're not out. Beat Michigan and get on a roll. If they continue as they're playing they won't win a game in the ACC.

Additonal Thoughts
by dillon77  (2020-03-11 12:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Completely agree on faceoffs. It was worse than the statistics.

One of the biggest WTF's of the game was when Leonard won the faceoff with us up 11-10 and went to goal. He passed on shooting but then threw an ill-advised pass out of bounds. Why not just keep running and take it around to burn clock?

2) "Stop fouling." Ohio State went 6-6 on extra-man opps. Leclaire got what...4...of his goals on man-up and he was wide open on most of those. Some degree of adjustment or even paying attention to where he was?

3) While ground balls were equal, I completely hear you. Been a bugaboo of mine for years with this team.

4) On the positive: our defensive middies (short- and long-stick) are beyond fast. They glide and have smooth acceleration. That said, let's put it on net.

5) I thought Entenmann mades some remarkable reaction saves yesterday but, yes, did give up a chippie or two. There was also one goal where a single wing dodge got a middie on-cage with no slide in sight.

6) Willet's seems to disappear at times. Is he being rotated in? Would like to see him set up more. Yes, I know he's somewhat limited, but varying his positioning could address that.

I'm watching this team, as well as the women's team (both my girls played high school and AAU lacrosse). Now that the Women's Hoops Team has its season end earlier than usual, I'll have more time to watch and post on lax board.

At this rate we can start wondering who'll replace Corrigan
by NDoggie78  (2020-03-11 12:37:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not calling for his head, but he and Brey and Jackson and Muffet are all approaching retirement age and all the teams have been less than spectacular this year. They may just decide it's time on their own.

Wish we had an AD I trusted to make the right hires.

On FOGO, why haven't we recruited the best here? It has been a weakness for years and probably what has kept us from winning a championship. Surely Corrigan had to have seen the kid at Denver from Culver. Did we recruit him? Could it have been an academic issue?

Mistakes
by ccndbound  (2020-03-11 12:31:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This team is making far more mental mistakes than in teams in years past. Man down defense was terrible - not rotating quick enough and not getting to the shooter (Leclaire). OSU ran the same play multiple times and our rotating D got stuck on the pick more than once. Those are mental errors.

Our A leaving the box early on the late face off that we were about to get - mental mistake that cost ND possession.

Offsides, delay of games, etc. - mental mistakes.

If these don't get cleaned up, they are going to have a hard time beating anyone in the ACC. All other ACC teams are looking pretty strong.