His Contract Ran Out After This Season...
by dillon77 (2020-04-15 09:43:09)

In reply to: Not surprising other than I agree Covid might have given him  posted by RagingBull

...according to the story in Inside Lacrosse. So, one could reason the COVID-19 situation gave a bit of cloud cover to not renewing his contract.

Really hard to replace a playing legend who had done a solid job for a number of years. However, the record recently just not corresponded to the talent that he/the school was still managing to bring into the fold.

My brother was a swimmer at Hopkins and knew several lacrosse players, who all said that that lax alum sentiment had gradually turned against keeping Petro.

Correct on all accounts except
by steelhop  (2020-04-15 19:50:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was thoughts by man fans that wanted him gone that the COVID out break saved him for this year because it would look bad for Hopkins looking to conduct a coaching search under the current conditions.

But, his contract did run at the end of the season so given the announcement about mutual parting ways is probably accurate. He was still doing a lot of social media until this weekend promoting the program. Hopkins probably wanted to give him a year extension as a way to give a year to right the ship, I’m guessing he asked for a longer extension knowing he had some leverage under the situation. Guess he didn’t.

Baltimore Sun Interview with Petro Post-Departure
by dillon77  (2020-04-17 10:06:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speaks to a number of the points in this thread....