Feeling pretty good about our Drexel win.
by Otter (2021-05-19 10:27:17)
Edited on 2021-05-19 10:29:44

Nice article from College Crosse (collegecrosse.com) previewing the first round games.

They have four staff members picking each game. Two of the four picked Drexel as their upset of the weekend to beat ND. Both said that Drexel was a VERY good team and was coming in on a serious hot streak. And their picks were solid. Both got 6/8 games right, getting Drexel and Denver incorrect.

Excerpts:

First predictor-

#6 ND v. Drexel

This is arguably the most interesting match-up this weekend. Drexel’s been on a run the last 2 months and I think they will pull off the huge upset this weekend.

Second predictor-

#6 Notre Dame vs. Drexel

You have to find room for an upset somewhere, and this is mine. But honestly, I think this is a legitimate possibility. Not a likelihood - Notre Dame is the more talented team and slightly better everywhere but for faceoffs where they’re a lot better - but a good possibility. Drexel is well balanced everywhere, playing extremely well for 2+ months now, and I think Ross Blumenthal has a heater against Irish shooters who can occasionally go cold

The third predictor likewise gave Drexel a lot of credit:

#6 Notre Dame vs. Drexel

Boy, if Drexel had gotten Virginia as their first round opponent, I’d be screaming my head off about the upset potential it would have. The Dragons still have that upset potential here. But I think the Irish have put together one of their most balanced teams in a long while and as long as Corrigan doesn’t hamstring the offense by slowing down the pace, and I think they get the job done here. That being said, Drexel may have the potential to ruin a lot of brackets not just here, but down the road as well.

Me again...so I had no real clue on how good Drexel would be, but these guys obviously know Lax and they thought Drexel a a decent chance against us, at a minimum. The above reviewer indicates that if the Dragons had beaten ND, they might beat Maryland as well.

I think we weathered the storm of an underseeded team. I hope we come out firing against the Terps on Sunday.

Replies: