Excellent article by Patrick Stevens of US Lax Mag
by Otter (2022-05-09 10:40:16)

He's totally in the bag for Syracuse which normally drives me nuts but he is one guy who watches ALL of the games. He has no life. And he knows that ND and Duke were both title contenders.

why can't men's lax use a pairwise system like ice hockey?
by melanzana  (2022-05-09 13:13:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know enough about pairwise but it doesn't seem to generate much controversy and is very transparent. It also seems to work with a sport with a small number of teams competing.

In the past, PWR was overly reliant on RPI
by Mr Wednesday  (2022-05-09 22:58:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which had major weaknesses in dealing with the limited out-of-conference crossover between teams.

And even the "common sense" common opponents criterion could be skewed by the number of games played against particular teams.

The one good thing about it is that everyone knows who will be in the field after the last game is played, and the only suspense is about the discretionary choices in seeding.

Good Quote by Tiffany; Interesting Note on Scheduling
by dillon77  (2022-05-09 12:32:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“We may need to recognize that we need a subjective, human-based element to the selection criteria.”
— Lars Tiffany

My only quibble is with the "may." As in committee members could .. and should .. be able to note trends, reasons not available via statistics-based reports. As in winning six straight. Losing a game to ranked opponent in Arctic-based conditions. Making changes to lineups that result in significant changes.

Schedules

I thought the comparison between Duke's approach to scheduling vs. ND's was interesting. I've cut and pasted:

"There’s an interesting dynamic of having Duke and Notre Dame getting snubbed that has nothing to do with the ACC or the Irish’s sweep of the Blue Devils. Duke routinely plays as many games as it possibly can each season. That’s more opportunities to play — and more opportunities to trip up, as the Blue Devils invariably do just about every February.

"Notre Dame, meanwhile, plays a more truncated schedule, especially since the ACC tournament disappeared last season. The Irish logged 14 games prior to the NCAA tournament in 2018 and 2019, then 10 a season ago (albeit under pandemic conditions) and 12 this year.

"Fewer games mean fewer opportunities to impress, though Notre Dame is a bit more isolated geographically and doesn’t seem especially interested in a barnstorming tour. It’s an understandable conundrum.

"Too many games? Too few games? Maybe. Maybe not. It’s just curious that neither approach worked out for selection purposes this season."

I've been of the impression that ND and Duke could split the difference. Play around 14 or 15 games against challenging out-of-conference opponents and, no, I don't mean the toughest ones you can find (Corrigan does that enough with Maryland, G'Town, etc.).

ND already does this with Marquette and Ohio State and Cleveland State.
Do you get a recurring (over the years) schedule with Robert Morris, Bellarmine, etc?

Or you emulate what ND girls do? Take a spring trip to Florida or somewhere temperate and get a few games at neutral sites (Those who played club ball for ND will remember this trick).

Any other thoughts?

Didn't Corrigan try the barnstorming thing?
by flanner96  (2022-05-09 12:39:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember relatively recent games in CA, TX, GA, IL (maybe some other places too that I'm forgetting) in an effort to play tough competition. I'm not sure if that ended up helping or not.

Yes, He Did, but Played Tough Competition
by dillon77  (2022-05-09 14:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I'm thinking of a way to get a few more games against decent competition, not necessarily playing teams like Maryland in bizarre places.

But, I imagine one could get both by playing a double-header in Colorado (Denver and Air Force), Viginia-central North Carolina (Richmond, High Point), etc.

Remember when Air Force flew the team in via transport? How about doing the same with Navy? Could double up and have both guys and girls play each other.

I'd like to see a February road game against Jacksonville
by tf86  (2022-05-10 11:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially since Jacksonville took a big leap forward with their program this year.

Ah. Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense actually. *
by flanner96  (2022-05-09 18:57:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He gave the committee a C!!! Wtf!
by JMAC76  (2022-05-09 12:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was F- grade.

Carcaterra saw this coming when we went on a roll the last 6 games and has been unapologetic about his concern/criticism. Last night he was furious. Even that pussy Kessenich was unapologetic about his criticism. All the “ND lost to OSU, Duke lost to X, Harvard beat Y” is bullshit.

What is ND/Corrigan saying today? My guess-nothing. I saw a nice tweet from the school congratulating the “boys”. How ND.

SEC Coaches and Conference Official's would be on every media outlet available fucking SCREAMING if this was football and it happened to one of their teams. But, we’re better than that.

Last night was a gift to the Ivy’s for being good boys during Covid. Disgusting.

Social Media is definitely subtweeting
by flanner96  (2022-05-09 12:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a post celebrating their #4 ranking in the IL.com poll, which can only be interpreted as a big FU to the committee.

Here you go (link)
by flanner96  (2022-05-09 12:33:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you link? Thanks! *
by JMAC76  (2022-05-09 12:29:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, See Link in "Nick Ossello's Rage...." * *
by dillon77  (2022-05-09 12:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I loved that stupid woman's explanations
by NDoggie78  (2022-05-09 11:04:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

About ND: "while they have three significant wins, none of them were over teams that are in the tournament" - yeah you stupid f*ck, because YOU left them out while you orgasmed all over the Ivy League - their wins are all in the tournament because you put them there - it's self-fulfilling

And why didn't you look at our significant losses - they are ALL in the tournament including the #1, #2, #3 ranked teams and the closest game to the #1 ranked team.

And the NCAA's own website under Rankings lists these Rankings:
RPI ND #11
Inside Lacrosse ND #4
USILA Coaches ND #7
and
Nike/US Lax ND #6
Explain how all those with knowledge of lacrosse say we should not only be in, but be seeded

We beat Syracuse twice 22-6 and 18-11 ..... the same Syracuse team that lost in overtime to Cornell 16-15 and Cornell gets a 7 seed

We should not only be in the tournament but be seeded

This 1000%
by Lambconnection  (2022-05-10 17:55:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Her explanation only makes sense because she had already decided to screw us and Duke over to let the Ivies in.

If you don't assume all those worthless Ivies belong in, we obviously do.

I'm not even going to watch the tournament this year. The NCAA deserve $0 revenue for this farce.