One possible work-around for that
by tf86 (2022-05-11 09:58:04)

In reply to: aren't enough D1 varsity programs to expand the tournament  posted by melanzana

If enough conferences have AQ bids, I think they'll expand the field to 24. To me, the magic number for conferences with AQ bids is 11.

The reason I say that is this: this year, as well as in the past, we've had 10 conferences with AQ bids. In that scenario, they've added 2 play-in games for the bottom 4 AQ teams. If the number goes to 11, then adding another play-in game means that 6 AQ teams are involved in play-in games. I don't think the conferences will go for a scenario where the majority of conference champions are involved in play-in games. Further, under NCAA rules, in any championship tournament at least half of all bids must be at-large. So in that scenario, I see a 24-team field with 11 AQ bids and 13 at-large bids, and a first-round bye for the top 8 teams.

Problem is that the sport isn't moving in the right direction. Next year, the Atlantic 10 will sponsor men's lacrosse, a move I've been predicting for some time. But that move combined with a few other realignment issues will result in the NEC and SoCon each dropping men's lacrosse, so we're back to 9 conferences with AQ bids. I'll have a post up, hopefully by the weekend at latest, explaining in greater detail.