I imagine Breschi was supportive of ACC teams.
by RagingBull (2022-06-02 05:03:03)

In reply to: Straight-forward Question on Breschi  posted by dillon77

I don't doubt that he argued for the ACC. I imagine someone else did as well so the final vote was 3-2. He probably called Tiffany, Danowski, and Corrigan after and said he did the best he could. And that would probably fly if the issue was:

UVA unseeded and in same bracket as Maryland (absurd but maybe they wanted that match-up)

5 seeded Ivy league teams (mind-boggling but maybe they wanted to reward them after Covid)

Selecting Priceton (should have been DQd after failing to make Ivy League Tourney but maybe they liked Ws over Rutgers and GTown - those were good)

Ohio State over Duke and Notre Dame (circular reasoning because if you value head-to-head than ND gets in over Duke and if OSU's biggest win was over ND and Carolina and you believe the ACC sucks than those aren't big Ws)

Even if you held firm with the above as weird as that rationale was - and then looked at RPI, head-to-head and top-20 wins - you're left with Duke, Notre Dame and Harvard. And if you're on the committee and you are part of selecting Harvard over ND and Duke you have to walk out of the room and not be part of the process. At that point, actually watching lacrosse doesn't matter. You should just leave it to a computer to spit out some sort of formula. The human process has no bearing on the outcome. So - yes - capitulation absent some minority report is enough.

I can't imagine a bigger screw job than what the committee did. Breschi wanted to be part of the committee. He knew what he was getting into.

I don't think anything nefarious will happen. Corrigan, Danowski, and Tiffany are class acts. But I'm not sure they let up on the gas next year if any are up on Carolina. I imagine each will be more apt to exchange notes on UNC tendencies.

What's worse is that Corrigan can't publicly denounce the decision because his long-time mentee and friend Gerry Byrne - and son Will - coach Harvard.

Replies: