Do you think that the ACC is open to adding an affiliate
by MPG (2022-06-07 14:39:04)

In reply to: MLax Conference Realignment 2023  posted by tf86

to bring their total to six teams? Are there any rumblings about an ACC member such as BC adding men's lacrosse?

Thanks for a good overview of a complicated situation..

I think it would have to be a special situation
by tf86  (2022-06-07 15:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For an affiliate member. Johns Hopkins, maybe Denver. But I don't see either of those programs, at least not in the near future, leaving their present conference affiliations.

Someone on this board has said that Florida State has a sugar daddy lined up for men's lacrosse in the event that the school can overcome the Title IX issues presented by adding the sport. That's a big if, however. Florida State, in particular, has the highest percentage of female students in the ACC IIRC, which makes it a little tougher for them to add a male sport. I've also heard rumblings about BC and Louisville (mostly on this board), but nothing definite. I've stated before my opinion that the ACC would need to add two homegrown programs at once, given that if only one were added, that program would be in the cellar for the foreseeable future. From a Title IX standpoint, I would agree with Terry Foy that the schools in the best position to add the sport are Division I schools without football or women's lacrosse. Obviously that eliminates any ACC school. Never say never, but it will be difficult.

Re: FSU
by flanner96  (2022-06-09 07:56:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember seeing an article from a TV news station in FLA last year speculating that FSU was getting ready to make a move on both men's and women's lax. But that was it and it doesn't seem like there's been a peep since. If there is a sugar daddy out there, seems like the ACC would want to encourage them to move this year of all years.

The problem might be what I have suggested
by tf86  (2022-06-09 15:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If one ACC member adds men's lacrosse, that program is likely to be in the cellar for the foreseeable future. I think they'll need to add at least 2 at the same time for that reason.

Clemson, on Other Hand, Starts Womens' Lax in 2023
by dillon77  (2022-06-09 10:29:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw an addition of the Under Armour All-Star game, Paris Masaraccia, was headed to Clemson. This caught my eye so I headed to Cllemson's website. Sure enough, starting up play next year.

The school I thought would make a jump at lax would be Wake Forest, in part because they draw so many kids from the Mid-Atlantic states, suburban Atlanta and growing lax areas like Dallas area.

However, they sponsor women's field hockey already and maybe their budget just isn't big enough (Wake has a relatively small enrollment for D1). And there's been a lot of construction on campus in recent years (dorms, business school, some athletic facilities, etc.).

Another problem with Wake Forest adding MLax
by tf86  (2022-06-09 15:10:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only 46% male enrollment. With that said, Wake Forest has potential to add both softball and women's lacrosse, two somewhat popular sports, if it wants to add men's lacrosse. Budget issues could be the biggest reason why it doesn't happen.