Agree. We had to play a different style of game today than
by RagingBull (2023-03-25 16:21:11)

In reply to: 15-10 final. Passing wasn't there today.  posted by flanner96

we have all year. More patience and ball control. But I like what I saw from Jake Taylor. He is a key counter to UVA's massive college football-caliber middie and D. He hasn't played much. There was bound to be some rust.

I think we're almost there but we'll need to adjust. I think Corrigan has to think of putting together a bigger D middie line to match up against the Schutz-McConvey-Miezan line.

We have to get Dobson more involved and Team Defense had multiple lapses.

We lost GBs 33-26 and Saves 14-11. Foffs were weak but we didn't give up any Fast Breaks off of them.

It wasn't a clean game but it wasn't a disaster. The good news is that the holes were obvious and by the time May rolls around anything can happen, including 6 Ivies making the Tourney.

And Freeman can go 4-8 next year and I'll still support him. That's a guy who was meant to be a college football coach.

Thanks for the analysis
by JMAC76  (2023-03-25 16:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like UVA got a lot of layup goals from #1 and #10? Was surprised by that.

Is the talent gap that wide? FWIW, Virginia looked loaded at every position.

That's what I noticed as well
by njnd96  (2023-03-25 18:01:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm no expert, but there were A LOT of defense lapses and just losing site of cutters. Virgina probably converted 5 or 6 wide open shots where we just lost an attacker or didn't rotate properly. Agree that we also needed to be more patient on offense and make the extra pass. It's tough to thread the needle against such a big defense. Learn and move on. Oh, and at least on TV the atmosphere was electric! Hats off to the students for their support.

#1 - Schellenberger was the #1 recruit in the country 4
by RagingBull  (2023-03-25 17:41:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

years ago. They have 2 All-State Texas football players on D, one of whom set the state record for sacks. And then they have that middie line plus #10 (Dickson) who is now a 5th year senior and Peyton Cormier, the 6'3 230 5th year Canadian at Attack. They probably have 20 guys who will play in the PLL at some point.

Their weak spot is Goalie but Nunes was the #1 goalie recruit for his year.

Tiffany is a players' coach. Players love him.

But we have talent too. Fake. Dobson. McCahon. We can compete but we can't lose the GB and time of possession battle.

We made it way too easy for them to score. Most of their
by zahm82  (2023-03-26 00:56:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

goals were layups from 5 feet away. In contrast, it seemed we had to work really hard for everything we got. UVA has terrific D as mentioned above. It’s great to get Taylor back and hopefully build more chemistry with other attacks

It's possible that some of the newness on D
by flanner96  (2023-03-27 10:00:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...came back to bite us. We had been talking a lot better in previous games, but breakdowns bit us.

Also worth considering that we didn't play particularly well on offense and still held them 4 goals under their average coming into the game.

All these are correctable things and we have the talent to play with anyone.