Irish Apparently Have Hit Transfer Portal (And Done Well)
by dillon77 (2023-05-31 08:23:58)

...according to Terry Foy of Inside Lacrosse:

"Brown attackman Devon McLane, Michigan midfielder Jake Bonomi, Virginia midfielder Danny Parker and Maryland defenseman BJ Burlace will join the Irish for the 2024 season, multiple sources have told Inside Lacrosse."

Full article is attached below. LooLooks like recruiting coordinator Ryan Wellner was working the phones in addition to coaching his you know what off last weekend.

McLane is a stud: 2nd team All Ivy and relentless attacker from Westfield, NJ. Foy sees him switching to middie to join Parker. Stay tuned.

Awesome!
by flanner96  (2023-05-31 09:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The experience of this year's Grad Four definitely is providing a blueprint. If you're a senior with remaining eligibility and you're looking for a home, it's hard not to look at what those guys accomplished and think "I would like a piece of that."

Only worry - might cause transfers out
by NDoggie78  (2023-05-31 09:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I liked the graduate transfer rule - I don't like the Portal rules. Much better when a transfer had to sit out a year unless they had graduated. Not just lacrosse - all sports

All Four Appear To Be Using the Covid Eligibility Year ..
by dillon77  (2023-05-31 10:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..so they only get one year. (I checked their roster pages at their previous schools). So, is that something of a grad-portal mix?

Coach Corrigan and Tevlin commented on how well the mix was for this year's "Gang of Four" and as Flanner points out, I'm betting the coaching staff is hoping to run it back.

Given the losses at two-way/short-stick middies, Bonomi (Michigan) and Parker (UVA) look to be naturals to compete for open slots and if McLane can move to middie, all the better. Doesn't look like Burface played much at defense at Maryland...can't tell if due to injury or not cracking the lineup. His brother, however, is coming to ND as part of the frosh class.

As for the portal, this has been discussed a whole bunch at McGraw's Bench were Coach Ivey has picked up a center every year running for three years. Most of those are one-year deals (grad/Covid), but Kylee Watson is multiple-year and she has fit in well.

I have no issues with play immediately after first-time transfer, but believe 2nd transfer should carry a mandatory sit out, with very few exceptions for waivers.