Will assistant coaches be more apt to stay at ND
by jbrown_9999 (2023-05-31 09:08:25)

given that Corrigan might be close to retirement? Do you stick around hoping to take over the reins in South Bend or entertain a HC offer from a lesser program?

How Close Is Close? Also, Depends on Situation
by dillon77  (2023-05-31 10:52:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many of us have wondered/pondered how long Coach Corrigan would hang in if he won the elusive title. Now that box is checked, but he -- understandably -- looked pretty darn content with things as he got ready to fly out to the summer tour of Germany.

I think adding in an offensive coordinator, ceding director of recruiting duties to Ryan Wellner and having Ryder Garnsey as a volunteer assistant offensive coach helps a bunch, allowing Corrigan to do what he does best.

That said, how much longer.

- Chris Wojcik was a head coach for 9 years at Harvard, his alma mater.
What's lesser for him. I'm sure he'd entertain offers from other Ivies, or top-level schools.

And if Wojcik goes, would there be a mutual interest in moving Garnsey up to full-time assistant?

- Wellner was associate head coach at Navy for three years before coming here and keeping the defense right and tight and doing the lion's share of recruiting. But he's never been a HC and might take a HC at, say, a Patriot League school.

All that said, I haven't seen a whole lot of openings, save for the longtime Denver assistant moving up to take Tierney's spot.

NCAA passed an rule that allows for another paid
by Steelhop  (2023-05-31 12:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

assistant coaching position for lax and other sports starting next year. So Ryder Garnsey, if he wants it, is probably getting on the pay role next year regardless.

IIRC, the rule is you either need to pay your voluntary coach a salary or you can't have a voluntary coach. I think there was a lawsuit about it filed by voluntary assistant baseball coaches about unpaid wages or something to that effect. Not surprising the NCAA lost that litigation.

Thx. Basketball Gets to Have Two More Asst. Coaches...
by dillon77  (2023-05-31 13:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...starting in July. Right now, many schools have loaded up on "directors" of various aspects who can help with on-campus recruiting.

Now, these two new assistants can coach in practice and games, can recruit on campus but cannot leave campus to recruit (no home visits for the those two slots).

Proof of that in basketball
by tf86  (2023-06-01 08:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw a team photo of the Texas Tech team that eliminated ND from the tourney in 22. There were more non-players than players in that photo.

I coach one of my sons flag football team and
by Steelhop  (2023-06-01 11:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one year, there was a kid whose father was an assistant basketball coach for a local DI school. He was telling me all the various non-coaching positions on his basketball team including a masseuse, team psychologist, analytics position, an intermediary position that could be best described as a person that would communicate between the players and head coach if there was an issue. I asked him if it wasn't the role of the assistant coach to be the intermediary and he said "not anymore."

Ryder is still playing in the PLL I believe
by NDoggie78  (2023-05-31 12:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wonder if that might be an issue if he became a full time coach?

Matt Danowski Is a Paid Coach and Plays in the PLL, Too
by dillon77  (2023-05-31 13:53:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Danowski currently plays for Chrome LC of the Premier Lacrosse League and he's been on his dad's staff for years.

Still, I think Garnsey works "a day job" in addition to all the lax commitments. Wonder what routes will open up for him if this rule will "force" a this way or not decision.