Next Year
by irishdoc01 (2023-06-04 18:16:28)
Edited on 2023-06-11 08:26:20

It’s never too early to look ahead, so let’s do it…

Attack:
Chris and J. Ricciardelli return.
Hopefully Pat and Taylor take their extra years.
Incoming freshman Behrman.

Midfield:
Dobson and Seymour will return.
Hopefully Walker and Angrik will be back from injury.
Gray can take an extra year.
Transfers McLane (an attackman at Brown) and Bonomi will probably fit here.

Faceoff:
Lynch and Hagstrom will be back.
Incoming freshman Greenspan.

SSDM:
Ramsey and Parlette return.
Harris can take an extra year.
Transfer Parker fits here.
Incoming freshman Faison

LSM:
Donovan will be back.
Maybe Burgmaster plays here.
Doherty has also seen time.

Defense:
The IL article on the transfers intimated that Conlin could be back.
Napolitano could take an extra year.
Burgmaster could play here.
Transfer BJ Burlace will fit here.
Incoming freshmen Lyght, Schwitzenberg and Williams.

Goalie:
Zepf will be back.
Hopefully Entenmann will take his extra year.
T. Ricciardelli may be primary backup after redshirting.

Significant losses:
Boyer, Fake, McCahon, Simmons, Tevlin, Westlin

Assuming everyone takes the extra COVID years, it seems like the close defense will be the biggest question mark. They could be transfer dependent for the fourth year in a row. Could make the early season scary. Hopefully Lynch’s momentum will continue, offense will score a lot and Entenmann can steal a few. Plus, Donovan and Ramsey look like studs at the defensive midfield.

Thoughts?

Foy treats PKav and Taylor's returns as done deals
by flanner96  (2023-06-05 11:18:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in the IL.com article, and on a website for sponsorship deals, Pat has said he's coming back. He'll have an opportunity to leave at the top of ND's career points list.

I have not seen anything on Entenmann's status, but he has an opportunity to end up on top of our career saves list too.

It's possible that Donovan could move to close D, too, but I think you'd want to keep him at LSDM, where he's already play at a John Sexton-esque level as a freshman.

I will say the IL.com recruiting team seems to really like all 3 D recruits. They've all apparently have size and good speed. Will be interesting to see if any of them grab PT.

Roster looks talented
by tf86  (2023-06-05 08:48:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if defense is our biggest question mark, that's probably a good sign. ND always has been elite in settled 6-on-6 defense since I started following the program about 15 years ago.

It is difficult to repeat, though. No one has repeated since Duke (uggh!) in 13-14, unless you count Virginia in 19-21 (no tournament in 2020 due to COVID).

One thing I worry about is that ND will see this national championship as vindication of its scheduling. I think we need to add two more games to the schedule (fwiw, I think Duke schedules too many games but ND doesn't schedule enough.) With the current schedule, we're only a really bad season from Syracuse, Ohio State or Michigan away from Marquette, or worse yet, Cleveland State, counting against our RPI and SoS.

Agree that ND Could Use Another Game or Two. Roadtrip!
by dillon77  (2023-06-05 10:35:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and I have (yet) another suggestion for it:

- Follow the Muffet Mcgraw model of scheduling a game in a player's home area/region her senior (or last) year as a way of making it easy to bring the family/friends to a game.

In this case, I'm thinking it could also be a recruiting tool; namely, schedule a long weekend of two games in the NYC region (either two against Long Island schools such as Hofstra, St. John's or Stony Brook) or one each in Long Island or New Jersey (Rutgers or Princeton). Given how many players we have from Chaminade (Rockville Centre in Nassau), St. Anthony's (Suffolk County) and New Jersey (Seton Hall Prep), lots of interest there. Plus, huge recruiting and/or brand building for some of the public school programs.

If Jack wants to fill the plane, double up with Halfpenny's girls team which has numerous players from both areas, too.

Venue-wise, Hofstra and Rutgers area easy to get to and Stony Brook/Princeton are not that difficult, either.

Just FYI
by BIG MAC  (2023-06-06 12:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chaminade is in Mineola. St Agnes was in Rockville Center. Used to have a great basketball team. Remember team with Pete Crotty (ND), Frankie Alagia, (St. John's),and Charlie Mahoney (Manhattan).

Thx. MPG Reminded Me, Too. Wasn't Glenn Jackson ...
by dillon77  (2023-06-06 19:16:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...on that St. Agnes team, too? Good outside shooter.

Might be wrong
by BIG MAC  (2023-06-08 18:52:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I believe he came a little later.

Good ideas. One more suggestion
by tf86  (2023-06-05 12:15:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An early-season road trip to Jacksonville every year. That will reduce, if not eliminate, any concerns about playing indoors in the early part of the season.

That's Solid....and Warm, as You Say.
by dillon77  (2023-06-06 10:51:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Halfpenny alternates trips to northern Florida and Virginia during spring break to get some blood flowing. Could easily see Coach C. scheduling Jacksonville and maybe another northern visitor.

I like the idea of an annual game on Long Island and one in
by MPG  (2023-06-05 10:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

New Jersey. As a side note, Chaminade is in Mineola while the Kavanaghs are from Rockville Centre.

For trivia fans, here are my memorized stops on the LIRR South Shore line:
Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Rockville Centre, Baldwin, Freeport, Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Amityville, Copaigue, Lindenhurst, change at Babylon for points east.