Fair question
by mocopdx (2023-03-24 17:31:58)
Edited on 2023-03-24 17:35:11

In reply to: I'll volunteer for a stupid question  posted by ravenium

It would be the ability to consolidate. I could have all my grill and smoke needs in one place. Honestly my biggest hang up isn’t the cost, it’s that I think I would miss the pure side of smoking with wood chunks and lump coal. The pellet thing… doesn’t that feel cheap and robotic? Is the taste any different?

I would say most smokers make poor grills
by ravenium  (2023-03-24 17:56:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They take a lot longer to heat up and it's easy to drop temp by opening the grill. I tried to use mine to cook burgers and it was really annoying vs sweet lady propane (Weber).

As far as pellets I think I haven't noticed enough of a difference to make me reconsider vs wood, especially re: convenience. I think a lot of it is my need for practice and experience.

I would agree
by Radi-skull  (2023-03-24 19:19:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a Notre Dame board, not Purdue *
by mocopdx  (2023-03-24 20:15:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hmmm, that might be the news I needed to hear
by mocopdx  (2023-03-24 18:21:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really enjoy the direct flame and 600 degree heat I can get on my gas grill.

Thanks, with that knowledge I’m leaning towards passing on the Traeger. The ease of use for smoking is appealing but I’m going to keep roughing it on the primitive but great WSM.

I agree
by shillelaghhugger  (2023-03-24 18:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are just certain things that simply require a flame.

For example, I don't love the taste of smoked tri tip. It's ok, even with a reverse sear on the grill. But nothing beats a fire-sear followed by indirect grill heat on low for 20 mins or so.