It does, ostensibly
by brewcitydomer (2023-03-25 22:38:52)

In reply to: The supposed benefit of alternative carriers doesn’t exist  posted by IAND75

Providers can go out of network. Employers can select a different plan. It’s not happening, but it’s at least possible in a way that isn’t with a single payer employing the same predatory strategy.

What other plan can employees select?
by NavyJoe  (2023-03-26 16:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’ve got one plan to choose from, only option is the level of deductible.

When I lived in Cali, we could opt for Kaiser HMO or HDHP, but even the Kaiser option was eventually scrapped by my company.

Do most companies give multiple options?

Employees have no options
by brewcitydomer  (2023-03-26 20:34:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is only employers and providers who have any leverage when the insurance companies behave badly. But optionality for those constituents theoretically keeps worse behavior in check. My point was to refute the claim that “single payer is the only answer”. I think the lack of optionality means that is not the case. In fact, one of the cases for single payer is that it will reduce cost specifically from the leverage the singular payer will have over providers.