Your reply was wonderful.
by mkovac (2024-04-17 18:15:30)
Edited on 2024-04-17 18:16:44

In reply to: Today mkovac and I attended a funeral of a great ND man  posted by otters92

It just shows what a great person you are.

Several times, when his grandchildren were speaking, I found myself unable to hold it together.

Bob was the first one I spoke to in 1964 when I was in high school about Notre Dame.

As I mentioned to you, he and I walked from his office to the Courthouse where he had to appear on a case, and from where I shook his hand and left, more convinced than ever that it was ND for me.

We walked along the Chester Avenue underpass and talked the whole way. Ever since that day 60 years ago, I think of Bob every time I drive on the underpass I think of him.

I don't know about you, but when they played our Alma Mater and then Fight Song as they wheeled his casket by, I was tearing up as we sang it (just as I'm doing now, as I type this. What is wrong with me!?).

As you and I were singing, the lady sitting next to me looked over at the two of us and realized we were ND grads. She smiled at us. She knew that I didn't sing any of the hymns during Mass. I hate those things and won't learn them.

As a Latin Mass altar boy in the 50s, all these ripple effects from Vatican II are not in my wheelhouse. My wife will pick up the hymn book and point at the songs for me. I roll my eyes and stand in silence, waiting for the latest feel good song is over. I'm a Latin hymn guy and I'll sing those during Christmas with the best of them.

Bob is home now.

As I mentioned to you during Mass, I gave him and his wife my ND/Miami tickets for the 1988 game at ND Stadium. I had already attended the ND/Michigan game that season and I knew that Bob and Rosemary would enjoy it.

As they played our Alma Mater and Fight Song at the end of the Mass, his smile when I gave him those tickets came back to me and I am so very glad that I did that.