Endpoint Encryption Error? WTF?
by Hipster (2014-09-02 19:23:52)

OK, so I turned on my laptop this afternoon and got an error message that said "McAfee Endpoing t Encription Error EE0050014" I clicked OK and it froze in an HP/McAfee screen with no mouse functionality, no operating system loading up, no nothin.

What the heck? Is my hard drive crashed?
Its a personal laptop, so I guess its you guys or the Geek Squad.
{inaudible}

PC Load Letter? *
by TAR  (2014-09-02 20:32:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From McAfee Knowledge Base...
by Kbyrnes  (2014-09-02 19:44:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and I quote:

"EE050014: File Access Error (issue: corrupt user in preboot)
Technical Articles ID: KB72654
Last Modified: 12/2/2013
Rated:

Environment
McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC 6.x

Problem
The following error is reported during the preboot authentication stage, preventing access to the Windows desktop:

Error EE050014: File Access Error

This type of error is usually seen on clients that have multiple user accounts assigned and cached on the system, but only one account fails.

Removing and re-adding the user via the ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) interface does not resolve the problem

An Emergency boot using the EETech CD recovery tool does not resolve the problem.

Cause
Corruption of Endpoint Encryption user in the preboot environment.
Solution
Rebuild the preboot environment on the client.
Use the Endpoint Encryption for PC 6.x EETech hard disk data recovery tool to:
Decrypt the hard disk.
Remove EEPC 6.x.

NOTE: For instructions on completing the above tasks refer to the EETech User Guide in PD22404.

Restart the client and access Windows.
From the ePO server deploy EEPC 6.x to the client. Allow the hard disk to encrypt and become active.

On the next restart, the previously failing user account will now be able to authenticate successfully during the preboot authentication stage."

I think you might need some expert IT advice.

Sheet. Son of Beach.
by Hipster  (2014-09-02 20:03:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks, for the info., though.

I may try a claw hammer and see if that works...then just buy a new laptop.

Since it isn't a work PC...
by wcnitz  (2014-09-03 08:10:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You need a way to decrypt the drive. If you didn't back up the encryption key somewhere when it got encrypted, then you're screwed. In a work environment there is an enterprise vault of sorts to decrypt a managed system like that.

If you rebuild the PC using the recovery image or disk and choose to encrypt it again, make sure you back up the key.

ps. McAfee encryption is terrible. You're better off using Bitlocker, which is built into Windows.