Every school has active shooter drills.
by LondonDomer (2018-02-14 16:09:53)

In reply to: They had Active Shooter Drills  posted by poweri

I mean, there have been over 200 school shootings in the US since Columbine.

Nothing to see here.

My kids have pink shirt days and an anti bullying assembly
by poweri  (2018-02-14 17:09:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they also have an annual first responders assembly typically after a fire drill.

That’s it.

Edit: not gloating, just explaining the perspective that led to my original post

Disgraceful. How can a kid go to school every day
by ndwifemom  (2018-02-14 16:16:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wondering whether they might get shot? It’s bad enough cops have to think that way.

It's depressing but I'm not sure it's much different than...
by NavyJoe  (2018-02-14 16:29:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

kids doing "duck and cover" drills during the Cold War. Maybe it is. I'm not a psychologist.

Our kids' school sends out a notification to the parents before the day before the drill so the parents have a chance to talk to the kids about it. I think that helps.

Big difference is the Russians didn't bomb 200 schools. *
by LondonDomer  (2018-02-14 16:32:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember those drills and the threat seemed remote
by ndwifemom  (2018-02-14 18:18:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even to little kids, who lived in houses that never had locked doors, walked to and from school unattended with no fear, and played in “the woods” near our house without ever thinking that a pedofile could be lurking nearby.

I feel for parents of kids today. Add social media and all its negative side effects and they have it tough.