And I'm sure
by ndchaos (2018-02-14 16:29:07)

In reply to: Did Obama not take away all the guns?  posted by Wooderson

we are going to find out the shooter was an NRA member, because they are the ones who cause all this, right?

if by "they are the ones who cause all this"
by NDWahoo  (2018-02-14 22:24:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you mean lobby consistently and pervasively against even minimalist and reasonable gun controls in the face of overwhelming evidence of a pervasive problem of gun violence in the country, then yes. They are the ones who cause all this. Right.

So, how is that bump stock ban doing right now?

Do you want to bet on whether or not the gun ...
by debo  (2018-02-14 16:40:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... was manufactured by an NRA funder?

In all seriousness,
by Wooderson  (2018-02-14 17:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd bet on the gun(s) used being legally purchased.

Like the ones at Sandy Hook (although Alex Jones told me that was all made up).

I don't disagree.
by debo  (2018-02-15 08:07:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The biggest issue with guns is the number of readily available guns, legal or illegal, and the culture surrounding guns. That's an issue that can't be changed with an overnight solution, which is why gun supporters like to say gun control laws won't solve anything. You need to take a long term approach that results in reduced gun sales, which over time will decrease the availability of guns.

I'm talking about placing limits on the types and number (tied to type) of guns one can own, with grandfather clauses so no one thinks the government is coming after their guns. Of course, such limitations are a direct attack on the bottom line of gun producers, so we're not likely to see it happen.

Lanza killed his mom and took her firearms.
by EricCartman  (2018-02-14 17:19:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not a legal purchase.

She took him to the range dozens of times
by LondonDomer  (2018-02-14 17:28:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and bought him guns as gifts.

Per the NYT:
by EricCartman  (2018-02-14 17:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BEFORE THE SHOOTING
His mother, Nancy Lanza, a gun enthusiast, legally obtained and registered a large collection of weapons and would often take her sons to shooting ranges.

DEC. 14, 2012
Mr. Lanza used his mother’s guns to kill her and 26 others.

I've seen reports that she took her son to the range. I've never seen a report that states that she gifted him the firearms that he used at Sandy Hook. In fact, all of the reports that I have seen state that he killed his mother and used her guns to murder people.

Yeah, maybe not true about the gifts.
by LondonDomer  (2018-02-14 17:48:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure it matters.

I admit I'm more sensitive about this particular event because I've seen first hand what it's done to the families and people involved. I'm gonna bow out of this one.

At the end of the day, the truth is the truth
by captaineclectic  (2018-02-14 21:50:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the Sandy Hook shooter did not legally purchase the weapons, then he didn’t.

My family is intimately bound up with the victims of that shooting. This is not theoretical for me. Nevertheless we need to stick to facts when we discuss emotionally charged issues.

For my part, I continue to believe both

A) it is wrong to punish innocent gun owners for the misuse of other guns by other persons; and

B) the mass shooting phenomenon merits a policy response.

“Make ... sense of it.”