Not sure what you mean. For example,
by usmcirish (2018-02-14 21:45:05)
Edited on 2018-02-14 21:47:31

In reply to: Gun culture really the same in the 1960s? *  posted by squid

the NRA was run in the '80's-'90's by Joe Foss who earned the Medal of Honor flying at Guadalcanal. Nobody in those days called him a gun nut. He was also AFL Commissioner and Governor of South Dakota.

I think the posts below hit it correctly. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we had NRA instructors teaching us marksmanship. They were, to a man, WWII or Korean combat vets. They taught us well, were lifetime NRA members, believed strongly in the 2nd Amendment and would have never been able to comprehend the shit that is happening today in schools and such.

Everybody in the Scouts had this sort of training for the merit badge.

Maybe dad's did not parade around with AR-15's, but most of my friends dad's growing up had M-1's or carbines etc they brought back from the war. Heck, my grandfather had his '03 Springfield that he carried to France in 1918. None of his kids or grandkids would have dreamed of even touching that piece without him being present.

I grew up in suburban Los Angeles. Certainly not even remotely a gun culture or hunting environment compared to the rest of the country.