It’s 9 am, Is McCarrick still a Doctor of Laws at ND?
by Atticus (2018-07-29 09:06:24)

Just checking.

Straight question: are they waiting for a conviction?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-07-29 18:38:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was Cosby's honorary degree removed only after a conviction? I don't recall. Is that somehow their standard?

Lest you think I am a McCarrick sympathizer for raising this legal point, I point you to the linked statement from the bishop of Albany - I suggest reading all of it. I share his sentiments and yes, I read "Goodbye, Good Men" - this seems like the echo feedback from that crisis.

Officially he is a Doctor of Towels awarded at The Rock *
by Frank Drebin  (2018-07-29 12:13:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"You're looking good today kid." *
by knutesteen  (2018-07-29 12:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Little known fact: Humphrey Bogart first heard the
by sprack  (2018-07-29 21:30:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

term “Here’s looking at you, kid” from Fat Eddie.

What wimps you guys must have been.
by Atticus  (2018-07-29 20:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I gather from stories posted here over the years that there was a Holy Cross brother at the Rock relegated to distributing towels at the pool. (Why that was even necessary, I don’t know. Perhaps it was a suburban, country club sort of thing.) I missed the experience due to ROTC and only went to the Rock to play handball. (What a luxury that seemed to be, four-walled handball when in Brooklyn every park had one-wall courts.) Loved the game.

“You’re looking good today kid.” ???
Didn’t any of you wimps ever think of saying, “Hey, f*ck off”?

Perhaps growing up in Brooklyn with chicken hawks in the playgrounds, on the subway, in the parks, gave me a certain attitude about that sort of thing. And, oddly enough, none of them were priests. At least none that I knew of.

Fat Eddie was not a Holy Cross brother
by sprack  (2018-07-29 21:33:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was just a guy who worked there. He was just a working man, was not in a religious order of any kind.

Don’t read more into it than is really there. The guy just handed out towels, nothing more, nothing less. It’s mostly a standing joke.

My point remains whoever he was. *
by Atticus  (2018-07-29 21:35:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link to ND News. They prominently feature a Jenkins release
by Raoul  (2018-07-29 10:09:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the Basketball Commission report release in late April.

What is the process?
by IAND75  (2018-07-29 10:05:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea as to what is the mechanism to rescind an honorary degree. Can Jenkins just decree that it is rescinded? Does he have to get approval by the Board? Some other committee, faculty group?

Realizing you have shit on your fingers is the first step
by milhouse  (2018-07-30 10:35:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

toward washing your hands.

Has Notre Dame even looked down to check yet?

Ask the vice president and James E Rohr Director of Athletic
by Irish72  (2018-07-29 13:37:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's probably been around pedophiles for many years.

While they figure that out
by Bruno95  (2018-07-29 11:52:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They should issue a simple release stating “this kid-fucker’s honorary degree is no longer valid.”

This doesn’t require governmental approval. Just strike him from the rolls and tell everyone you’ve done so. If it’s harder than that, then work harder than that. This is inexcusable.

No kidding.
by John88  (2018-07-29 12:12:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is someone actually concerned there may be backlash from rescinding the degree?

If so, those people should have their employment rescinded.

Presumably the same one used to quickly rescind Cosby's
by Raoul  (2018-07-29 10:09:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you read his statement, it implies that if using a similar approach ND would wait until the Ecclesiastical courts act on McCarrick. That could be years.

Where is the apology to Dean Brown? *
by 512  (2018-07-29 13:08:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND was pretty late to the game with Cosby too
by fontoknow  (2018-07-29 10:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They waited until he was convicted. Many rescinded cosby degrees years before.

What groups or people within ND or influential to ND would
by Raoul  (2018-07-29 11:11:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be arguing for them to go slow here?

BTW - Maybe McCarrick, if penitent, should ask all those who granted him honorary degrees to rescind them. Does McCarrick really believe he did nothing wrong?

P.S. Even if he never molested a boy, as alleged, I think he should have it rescinded based on what we know with seminarians. They are both horrible, though the molesting of children has to be among the worst possible sins and one incident alone suffices for defrocking IMO.

There are some people who believe that it's bad business
by fontoknow  (2018-07-29 11:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To rescind honorary degrees. We honor humans not saints for the work we do. When we learn more about the person, good or bad, that is just part of life. There is also an argument that once you start yanking honorary degrees, how far back in time do you have to examine honorees?

The Cosby rescission removed that option though
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-07-29 14:27:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have respected a statement of policy from ND that honorary degrees are awarded based on information and circumstances at the time and are not revisited nor reconsidered at a later date.

The statement in revoking Cosby’s degree (text below) seemed to imply that a criminal conviction is sufficient grounds for rescission.

The question to be clarified now - is criminal conviction necessary?

“As a result of his conviction today on three felony charges in a sexual assault, the University of Notre Dame has rescinded the honorary degree awarded to Bill Cosby in 1990. While certainly troubled by serious, public accusations made by multiple women against him, the University elected to wait until due process had been afforded the accused, and a verdict delivered, before rescinding the honor.”

If you can rescind a real degree
by NGIrish09  (2018-07-29 18:03:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then you should be able to rescind an honorary one for similar reasons. The ones that I am familiar with involved PhD-granting institutions rescinding degrees for scientific misconduct (e.g., falsifying data). I think it is a powerful tool for universities to wield to ensure the integrity of the academic community, as those scientists are no longer degree-holding individuals. Certainly abuses of that revision power could happen, but I am not aware of any to date. If a real degree can be rescinded then, and I think that it should be within the purview of the university, the so too should honorary degrees.

I’m fine with that too, but I think academic fraud
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-07-29 19:53:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stands alone and, for purposes of institutional integrity, would require degree revocation (decertifying the endorsement if this individual as satisfying the standards of degree certification).

I consider honorary degrees to be puffery, “earned” in many cases by agreeing to make a speech.

If Cosby had a “real” degree from ND, I would oppose its revocation for his criminal conviction.

Agree with both posters below
by KHADDAFI  (2018-07-29 14:02:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a practical matter, the number of instances when ND has awarded a degree to a rapist and/or serial molester (or the moral equivalent) is microscopically small.

If we examined every honorary degree awarded by the University since 1842, the number of those who might seriously have been considered as mistakes in hindsight is likely infinitesimal. And finding anything approaching a consensus on revoking particular degrees would likely be limited to cases like McCarrick and Cosby.

Those who may cling to a tradition of leaving degrees in place regardless of the recipient’s later-revealed conduct make a far worse choice.

Bruno’s black letter rule should be applied without further debate.

I think a Catholic School holding up a Catholic Leader
by Raoul  (2018-07-29 12:01:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

brings in a whole separate discussion beyond Cosby or other felons.

His behavior has made a mockery of the vow, not to mention the law.

ND should be a leader in Church self-examination and change. Perhaps they just don't feel that way though. Maybe post Land O Lakes this is "their" problem, meaning the Church, and not ND's in any way.

If a recipient is a molester, his degree goes away.
by Bruno95  (2018-07-29 11:53:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That ought not be a slippery slope.