Eatery question for Milwaukee - Dallas road trip.
by G.K.Chesterton (2018-08-15 13:12:28)

We are leaving just after midnight to drive to Dallas. We'll be following the usual Google Maps directions (I-39 to I-55 to I-44 to US 69/75 into Dallas). Therefore, we'll probably have breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the road and we are driving back two days later the same route. Illinois, Missouri, and Oklahoma are the states we will be in the most on that route.

Are there any non-fast foot chain places not too far off the path we should check out?

I'm currious why you would take the same route back
by fontoknow  (2018-08-16 11:07:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

especially if the travel time delta is less than an hour.

I'd do the Memphis route down and the KC route back. And with dallas as an endpoint, you have the opportunity to taste three distinct BBQ styles.

If you go through Memphis, definitely stop at
by NDHouston  (2018-08-16 01:17:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lambert's in Sikeston, MO or the Dixie Pig in Blytheville, AR.

We normally took I-57/55/40/30 from Chicago to Dallas. That route avoids St.Louis, which was always a traffic problem.

Joe’s Kansas City BBQ. I know, I know, out of the way
by irishguard78  (2018-08-15 21:50:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But dammit, this is really great BBQ

If you re-route through Arkansas, stop at Fat Boy's Fine
by Manor76  (2018-08-15 18:45:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Foods (formerly The Pig Pit) in Arkadelphia. So-so barbecue, but the burgers are worth the Arkansas detour. And the fried pies are very good.

Mona’s Italian Restaurant in Toluca, IL.
by FredFenster  (2018-08-15 16:57:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keep it simple: 1/2 fried chicken, family style, with the side of tortellini and spaghetti. This remains the best spaghetti sauce I’ve ever tasted (though I admit to being influenced somewhat by nostalgia).

If they’re busy, you can go to Capponi’s a couple of doors down and eat off of a nearly identical menu.

Toluca is ~12 min off of 39 before you hit 55.

Middle of Illinois to SW Missouri recs
by No Right Turn on Red  (2018-08-15 13:41:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Places to stop become limited between once you clear Chicago on your way to St. Louis. In Normal, IL, if you want tacos, I would go with either Taqueria El Porton or Tony's Tacos (right by Illinois State's campus. Meatheads is a good spot for burgers, Flingers Pizza Pub for pizza, or Destihl Brewery for a more casual sit down place.

You're next best spot after Normal is probably Springfield, IL. Obed & Isaac's Microbrewery is really good, and if you need something to do, the Lincoln Library (and other Lincoln stuff) is in Springfield.

For St. Louis, there are a ton of options pretty close off the highway, but Byrd and Barrel is one of my favorite places to eat here (Mother Clucker sandwich, FTW). If you just want something quick in the afternoon, swing by Gus' Pretzels for pretzels and/or bratwurst sandwiches. For breakfast, find a local donut place or hit up Pint Size Bakery.

In Springfield, MO, Blacksheep for burgers or Patton Alley Pub.

gotta be a good BPT sandwich on that stretch of IL somewhere *
by cujaysfan  (2018-08-15 14:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Schooners in Bloomington.
by The Holtz Room  (2018-08-15 14:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m assuming you meant breaded pork tenderloin.

Any diner on that stretch should have a good one too.

damn right
by cujaysfan  (2018-08-15 14:56:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i've heard of Schooners

and - I guess if you really want to put yourself to sleep - you can have a horseshoe in the Peoria area.

That's great drunk grub - but not sure it's road food.

I could go for a BPT about now

Actually its Springfield for shoes. Darcy’s Pint
by Killian  (2018-08-15 15:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is our go to.

Schooners tenderloin is awesome. You need 4 buns to eat the damn thing. Their wings are also some of the best in town.

had my shoe experience in Peoria years ago
by cujaysfan  (2018-08-15 15:08:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with one of my college buddies who is now a judge down that way

and - we was not sober - couldn't tell you the name of the place...

had spent a solid night at SOP's after a Rivermen game

good times...

Ever been to Hungry Moose in Peoria?
by The Holtz Room  (2018-08-15 15:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Small breakfast/lunch place, but makes a mean BPT also.

I’m not a Horseshoe guy. Too much shit going on for me.

doesn't ring a bell
by cujaysfan  (2018-08-15 15:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so I'd guess not

I'm not against a shoe - but I'll take a BPT over one every time.

You’re doing it wrong
by vermin05  (2018-08-15 13:28:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t go through St Louis and Tulsa if you don’t have to, my parents found going I80 to Des Moins and then down I35 to be much better and quicker when my brother was living in Norman.

I believe Google Maps has that as the alternative route.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-08-15 16:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They allege it is slower by 30-40 minutes, IIRC.

Also, I don't believe we go through Tulsa. We bail out on US 69 before getting there. I believe I went this same way over 30 years ago.

KC is to St. Louis as Singapore is to Calcutta.
by Ofcr. Tim McCarthy  (2018-08-16 11:18:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You should take 35.

if you do that, KC has a million places
by irishrock  (2018-08-15 13:38:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I would humbly suggest bar-b-que for breakfast, lunch, or dinner

Like I said above. This route and go to Joe’s KC BBQ
by irishguard78  (2018-08-15 22:01:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And don’t let the gas station atmosphere scare you off.

everybody needs to stop with the Joes KC stuff
by irishrock  (2018-08-16 11:30:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's outside of the top 5 in KC...and has no history or culture associated with it. All large bar-b-que joints are factories...they've been living off their name for a good five years now. except for their fries...they're awesome and also way too expensive

Just because you'll ask:
Jack's Stack
Char Bar
Q39
Gates
Irishrock's house
Slap's
Blindbox
Bryant's...if I'm coming from out of town, I'd hit WAY before Joe's because of culture/history. But you have to go to the Brooklyn location which would work. (Food is a major hit or miss spot...sometimes the sandwich is lousy and sometimes the sandwich reminds me of why I love the place)

I respectfully dissent.
by milhouse  (2018-08-16 15:43:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Joe's is top 5. At the moment, Char Bar and Q39 are at the top of the pile, with Woodyard and Slaps and Joe's right behind them. Gates is a shadow of its former self, as is Bryant's for the exact reason you identify.

Agree, particularly re: Gates and Arthur Bryants *
by Brandon  (2018-08-16 22:24:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dissent all you want
by irishrock  (2018-08-16 16:39:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just kidding, Joe’s is very good...I just think overhyped at the moment.

I’m with you on Slap’s, good stuff and feels old school which I like

Which Gates do you go to? I still think it is great 95% of the time. When good, it’s better than most but Char Bar, IMO. They have a platter they call the President Platter...try it with a group sometime. The sausage might be the best item on it

My dream (won’t happen) is to open a bar-b-que joint like a Slaps where I cook a ton of food and serve it and then call it a day when it’s all gone

I used to go to the one at Linwood & Main.
by milhouse  (2018-08-16 16:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My meat was always fatty, so I stopped going. Maybe I should give it another shot.

And I agree, Joe's is overhyped right now. There's a right amount of hype for the place, but it gets more than it should at the moment.

I think the burnt ends I had at Char Bar were probably the best I've ever had. Have you tried Smoking Aces? It's very, very good as well.

I have had it and they are good
by irishrock  (2018-08-16 17:26:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed on Char Bar...best burnt ends I’ve ever had. I heard them called Bar-b-cue marshmallows and thought it was appropriate

LC’s...sadly I won’t go back. It used to be great, but I’m afraid that LC might have passed away and his nieces and nephews aren’t running the place well. I used to never step foot inside his joint without him being there...I haven’t seen him there in the last year. I hope I’m wrong

You can also stop at the Knute Rockne Rest Stop.
by domer4  (2018-08-15 13:45:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, not the one in Indiana/Illinois toll road.

This one is a rest stop off of I-35 (used to be a McDonalds - might still be).

It is close to where his plane crashed.

One comment says it has a Hardee's now. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-08-15 17:53:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they renovated the stop and tore it out
by irishrock  (2018-08-15 14:21:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't seen the replacement...hopefully they did it. It was 1000x better than one would expect...it was actually well done at a toll road "oasis" spot.

TAR is your man ...I would email him *
by Caber  (2018-08-15 13:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not for this one. Reread his post. Appreciate the vote tho *
by tar  (2018-08-15 14:35:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post