From the swing side of the street, happy birthday, Oscar
by Atticus (2018-08-15 19:40:19)

In my Jazz theology, there is a trinity for each instrument, each band, each trio, each quintet, etc.

Today we celebrate the birthday of the Son in my piano trinity, Oscar Peterson. To listen to Oscar is to receive a lesson in gratitude for being alive.

I link to a sample, Oscar doing Sir Duke’s C-Jam Blues. There’s so much that I could link to, but this one comes to mind tonight.

My trinity on the piano:

The Father: Art Tatum

The Son: Oscar Peterson

The Holy Ghost: It varies, like the original, it is somewhat of an amorphous concept. So:
- Bud Powell,
- McCoy Tyner
- Thelonious Monk

I was waiting for your post. The keyboard Communion
by Odschool  (2018-08-15 20:16:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

definitely take turns being able to exhibit the gift of tongues - Bill Evans, Ahmad Jamal,Errol Garner,Tommy Flanagan, and George Shearing - to name a few,

I’m glad you mentioned Ahmad
by Atticus  (2018-08-15 20:32:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love Bill Evans (and who doesn’t like Bill Evans, to coin a phrase), and Errol’s Concert by the Sea was one of my first Jazz LP purchases, Tommy is like Wynton Kelly, a great piano player, but still below the summit, and George Shearing is OK, but if I had to name my trinity +1 of most overlooked piano geniuses it would be:

Ahmad Jamal
Mary Lou Williams
Red Garland
Cedar Walton

Perhaps Earl “Fatha” Hines belongs in there too, but these I listen to with great devotion. And I wouldn’t slight the unappreciated swing of Count Basie or the stride of James P. Johnson.

I am not a great fan of Keith or Chick, truth be told. I love Herbie, but rarely do I say to myself, “I have to hear some Herbie Hancock tonight.” But I love some of the “newer” generation:
Marcus Roberts
Gerald Clayton
Hiromi Uehara
Bill Charlap

Ahmad Jamal was my mother's favorite jazz pianist...
by Kbyrnes  (2018-08-15 23:21:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I still have the LPs in our overflow area in Long Beach.

Have you listened to Tigran Hamasyan? I discovered him a few years ago while listening to NPR. His music is often very spare and contemplative, as if Satie wrote jazz.

In that slightly French vein, here is Hamasyan playing his own "Leaving Paris."

And here is his "Lilac."

Another fine jazz pianist with a very distinctive style was Marian McPartland, whose "Piano Jazz" program was my porthole into this jazz medium for years. Back in 1979 she had Bill Evans on; here's the first of four segments on YT from that show.

Thursday will be jazz piano day for me. *
by Odschool  (2018-08-16 07:11:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post