I don't broadcast that I graduated from ND, however
by SCOTTSDALE (2018-08-15 19:58:24)

years ago my now 90 year old mother gave me a set of ND headcovers for my golf clubs. Those are always on my clubs and occasionally invite questions or comments from my competitors on the course. I've never had a negative comment. Most people are just curious about ND.
Today was the second day of a home and home event we stage yearly with another club here in the White Mountains of Arizona. Our club was the host club today so I drove the cart. The fellow who rode with me was pretty low key and quite congenial. We had a grand time throughout the round while playing some very average golf.
As we were putting our drivers back into our bags after teeing off on the 18th hole my rider asked me what my connection was to Notre Dame. I replied that I graduated many years ago. He then remarked that he had a daughter that graduated in 1995. So I asked the usual questions about her major, her hall, what she was doing. Well he started a very low key narrative about her that led to fact that she was part of the '92 women's swim team and was severely injured in the crash. Steve Scott continued the story of his daughter Haley Scott. I came close to weeping.
It was easy to see where Haley got her character. Steve described her now family and his other children's families. He has a lot of love for them and they for him. He also said he really learned what the phrase "Notre Dame Family" meant.
It was a good day on the golf course.

I'm proud to be her classmate
by Grease  (2018-08-16 01:33:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So often we hear, "I'm so embarrassed that (person X) graduated from (insert school here)". It's not just us, I hear it from every school whenever someone does something that brings scorn. It's refreshing to be able to say, "I'm so proud that I shared the halls with this person as a member of the class of '95". She spoke at my parish a few years back and I wish I had been able to take my kids to see her. Your timing with this is oddly appropriate for me as I am sitting in a room at Johns Hopkins where my 11 year old daughter had a spinal tumor removed last Friday. She is going though intense therapy right now and will hopefully transfer to the Kennedy-Krieger Pediatric Spinal Institute in the next few days to continue inpatient therapy with the hope of restoring full function. My daughter loves swimming and soccer and your post compelled me to order the book for her to read when she hits that plateau in therapy and starts to think, "maybe this is it, maybe this is my new normal". She is as strong as an ox, and tough as a bull, but everyone needs a little motivation sometimes. Thanks for this.

Prayers for your daughter, may God be with her as she heals *
by ndrooter  (2018-08-16 11:58:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Grease, I'll second Moff's suggestion. God will be with your
by SCOTTSDALE  (2018-08-16 09:45:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

daughter I'm sure. Although I'll keep her in my prayers I'll say one for you also.

You should reach out to her.
by Moff  (2018-08-16 01:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When my daughter had some serious health issues (also a swimmer, btw), Haley gave her a lot of encouragement and a card with her cell phone number on it and asked her to call her if she wanted to talk. I bet she'd do the same for her classmate's daughter. All the best to your daughter.

Seconded. Haley is amazing
by Acrossdmiddle  (2018-08-16 18:25:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I won’t go into how I know this, but suffice it to say she is a saint.

Thank you for sharing. The daughter of my classmate died in
by Walsh69  (2018-08-15 22:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that bus crash in 1992. I had a conversation with Dick Rosenthal last year. He said that was the most difficult ordeal he had to deal with during his tenure in that job.

Gordon?
by Section12  (2018-08-16 11:45:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so a strange and sad case.

Great story *
by irishhawk49  (2018-08-15 21:33:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is a wonderful person.
by Moff  (2018-08-15 20:57:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you haven’t already done so, do yourself a favor and get a copy of her book.