Don't most offers of free med school tuition...
by 105Marquette (2018-08-16 13:03:59)

In reply to: NYU Makes Tuition Free for All Medical Students  posted by johnthomas02

...come with obligations to practice primary care in underserved areas?

If NYU isn't levying that requirement, that's a game changer.

Take the “r” out of “underserved” and the meaning changes
by mkovac  (2018-08-16 15:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

completely.

The WSJ article says the tuition payments are not tied
by Santos L Halper  (2018-08-16 13:12:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to any career commitments after graduation.

I do wonder if their students will
by TWO  (2018-08-16 14:38:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

choose more altruistic fields because they have no Med School debt to pay off? That's one of the rationale's for this program. I suspect that students will continue for the most part to choose the programs that they like and will pay well as they always have done.

That was one of the ideas advanced by Arizona State
by LastDon  (2018-08-17 00:46:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when they went to the free MBA model. Based on public statements and what we have heard firsthand, they thought that (1) more international students who might not have been able to afford two years in the US would come, (2) people wouldn't feel as much pressure to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible (this one goes to your point), and (3) the graduates would feel a stronger sense of duty to give back to the school and the community.

It is still too early to tell about 2 and 3, but point 1 has certainly proven to be true. Plenty of my friends from overseas would not be here if not for the scholarship. Hell, I only came from Detroit and the only schools I considered were those that offered full or nearly full scholarships. The difference is that ASU is free for all, including those with substantially lower test scores and/or GPAs who managed to make a positive impression on the admissions people. I had a few options for a free or nearly free MBA, but plenty of my classmates had one option.

Based on the impressions I have formed through interaction and observation, I think we do seem to have a lot of 'serve the world community' types who might not be as driven by starting salary as, say, I am. I am not enough of an expert to know how much of that is influenced by the funding model, but I am fairly confident that the percentage is greater than zero.