Seeking ideas on allowances for kids, aged 11 and 9
by Giggity_Giggity (2018-10-16 10:15:03)
Edited on 2018-10-16 11:24:44

I've been remiss about setting up an allowance system for the Giggitlings. Back in my own idyllic childhood my parents provided us with a reasonable allowance (a couple bucks a week, rising to $5 and $10 in middle and early high school) for entertainment and pocket money but paid for clothes, school supplies, etc.

I'm not sure what makes sense these days given the following:

- Less "free rein" and more planned activities, etc. for the kids. We used to ride our bikes all over town to the movies, to arcades, etc--that isn't the case where I live (queue the sad music).

- My kids are good. I know, I know, but I don't have to harp on them about schoolwork or helping out around the house or responsibility (yet). So the use of allowance as a carrot on a stick isn't a big deal at this point.

- Pricier goods. Used to be $5 a week covered a movie ticket or two. Now I'm inclined to just hand the kids money when they go out someplace with friends because it's rarer and things cost way more than what I think makes sense for a weekly allowance. They're good about being polite, offering to pay for things, and using the money responsibly (and sharing) when they're someone's guest, so that's not a lesson that needs to be imparted.

What do you internet weirdos do? What systems do you have, how much do you give your kids, and what do you make them use it for?

Thanks!

Replies: