I'm looking for suggestions for a 3 day weekend trip for
by veets (2018-10-16 11:39:52)

my wife and I for her 50th birthday in January. One note--she gets seasick easily, so I think a cruise is off the table.

I was considering the Caribbean. We'd be leaving from Philadelphia area.
Any suggestions?

if beach isn’t a priority, Mexico City
by ndlarryj  (2018-10-17 11:06:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i’m guessing 4 hour flight from Philly. amazing food at michelin-stared restaurants for cheap. and very cool european-style architecture / sightseeing on this side of the atlantic.

Aruba - either the Marriott or Ritz *
by Jimbo Irish  (2018-10-16 14:33:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Havana. *
by Papa November  (2018-10-16 14:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ooh na na *
by GailStanwyck  (2018-10-17 10:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, there goes my day.
by starburns  (2018-10-18 05:55:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That might be the most pernicious earworm of all time.

Baby, i am not from Havana *
by Inigomontoya  (2018-10-16 23:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Punta Cana
by 528 Flanner  (2018-10-16 12:51:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think American has direct flights and there are a number of very nice resorts. Beautiful beaches and some good golf courses if you are into that.

Bermuda? *
by DBCooper  (2018-10-16 12:50:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bahamas, C’mon pretty momma. *
by ferndog  (2018-10-16 14:13:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would be cool there in January. Beautiful Island though. *
by arch_moore  (2018-10-16 14:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually cold there in January *
by Doghoused  (2018-10-16 13:15:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Deep Creek lake *
by dvpgm  (2018-10-16 12:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For 3 days, make sure it's a direct flight
by doghoused  (2018-10-16 12:03:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My two suggestions:

1. Grand Cayman -- Beautiful, safe island. Good if she likes all things islandy.
2. Hawks' Cay (Florida Keys) -- Very nice resort. 2 hour drive from Miami airport, which gives you lots of flight options. The resort has everything you would need (although Florida Keys beaches are not big, and this one is not either). You can drive down to Key West one day as well...about an hour of gorgeous driving.

Love the Keys as you noted the drive is spectacular.
by Section12  (2018-10-16 12:51:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a bucket list item for my wife and I. This February will be our 13th year as we feel in love with the relaxed pace and old Florida tendencies. We find it's more convenient to fly into Fort Lauderdale as the car rentals in Miami are off premise and manned by incompetent people. The agencies are also in a crappy neighborhood. They'll need to make sure they sign up for a SunPass at the rental agency.

Two words: Turks & Caicos
by NDFoil  (2018-10-16 11:59:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

https://gracebayresorts.com/gracebayclub/

In January I’d stick to the Caribbean
by poweri  (2018-10-16 13:47:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It can get relatively cold in the Bahamas and Turks that time of year.

This is the correct answer
by njnd96  (2018-10-16 12:49:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Direct flights, about 3hrs from the NYC area, and some of the best beaches in the world. My favorite spot in the Caribbean.

Interesting. I heard the island is flat and boring.
by The Flash  (2018-10-16 15:53:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does it have scenic natural sites to visit? Historical sites? Indigenous culture? Performing and fine arts scene? What is the cuisine like, a lot of seafood? Might you consider Riviera Maya or Puerto Vallarta?

Admittedly I've never been, but
by starburns  (2018-10-17 08:04:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have certainly never heard anyone claim Puerto Vallarta is the apex of historical tourism, natural beauty, performing arts, and fine cuisine. And what counts as "indigenous" there?

Does it have to be warm?
by captaineclectic  (2018-10-16 11:44:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last year we went the other way and went north (Kennebunkport) in January. We loved it.

Had to be pretty desolate up there that time of year no?
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-10-16 12:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife and I went in late July after a New Hampshire wedding and had a great time. Made it all the way up to Acadia National Park, but I can't imagine going in the dead of winter.

It’s beautiful and peaceful
by captaineclectic  (2018-10-16 12:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of the stuff is closed.

Yes
by veets  (2018-10-16 11:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although she's Norwegian, she hates the cold.